Old style Savage 110 Sear spring- Help

Forester

A buddy of mine recently bought an old Savage 110 and he as been trying to see how accurate the rifle can be for a cheap gun...To that end I told him I would bed the stock for him, which went well until I tried to put the thing back together.

I removed the trigger of course to do the bedding job and now I am having a hard (read impossible) time getting the sear spring/ bolt release assembly all back together on the gun. I can see the way the spring needs to sit but I can not for the life of me get the little bushing and spring compressed enough to slide the pin in. I tried making a tool to push the spring into place with a notched straight blade screwdriver but didn't have any luck that way either.

Any help or pictures of a technique to make this work?

Use a punch which fills the hole and insert it on the opposite side to hold the trigger and sear in the correct position. Now use you hand and the actual pin to push the spring in place and get it started in the hole. You may need to tap the pin with a hammer to get it started. I hope it helps, they can be a pain to get back in place.

Yep, you'll need 3 or 4 hands to hold everything in alignment and get that pin started. Bad thing is, there's only room for less than 1.

I think I use a 1/8" allen wrench to push the spring into the right spot. It has to be big enough to put the force to the spring and small enough to get the spring pushed into the slot.

Keep at it. You'll get it.

barm: Where are you in Virginia?...Because I owe you a beer!

The punch holding things in place from the other side was just the extra hand I needed. I messed with that fool thing for 2 hours before I posted here, with the answer in hand it took 10 mins.

Forester,

I'm glad it worked out for you. I also spent several hours messing with that type of trigger and could not find enough hands to get it done. BTW, I do like beer and I reside in Winchester. Where are you from?

I have a brother in Knoxville, TN. I'll look you up sometime, when I get down that way to visit him.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.