Old School

texan79

This isnt the typical rig posted here (or the typical rig found in my gunsafe) but I figure I could arouse some nostalgia in a few.

This is my Rem 788 in 6mm. It was given to me by my old man when I was 16. Sentimental value aside, this thing shoots Remington 100gr Corlokt (crap) into a half inch hole every time. Not fancy, not expensive, but one of my favorites.

IMAG0133.jpg

THe 788 might be old school but they was good enough to be sent to RVN in the late 60's for the first snipers and sniper schools when the mil had no sniper program. Them was 788 in 308 with hvy bbl. Your rifle looks great and alot better than a lot of the pink and blue deaths head camo canoe paddles ya see on here. Old school rules. Congrats.

THe 788 might be old school but they was good enough to be sent to RVN in the late 60's for the first snipers and sniper schools when the mil had no sniper program. Them was 788 in 308 with hvy bbl. Your rifle looks great and alot better than a lot of the pink and blue deaths head camo canoe paddles ya see on here. Old school rules. Congrats.

Agreed, the 788 was and still is a great shooter. My buddy has one that shoots as well or better than a lot of the "new school" rifles. One correction. The Remington sniper rifle adopted in 1967 by the military was a modified Remington 700 ADL in 308. It was parkerized with a heavy varmint barrel, military sling, and a receiver modified to accept a stripper clip. A few years ago Remington produced a run this these with continued, original serial numbers, commemorating the Scout Sniper Association. I managed to get one. Out of the box this rifle shoots extremely well with .5 MOA with factory Federal 168 Match ammo.