Old School but new

ttstraw

Hello – I know this is not the typical long range rig but it's a rifle Ive always wanted to get my hands on and on a recent trip out looking for ammo and loading supplies one of the shops I stopped at had one in the rack so I had to get my hands on it. It has a nice feel in the hands, hard to explain and it points real nice so when I learned they had one in 6.5 PRC I snagged it.

I didn't want to set it up with a huge scope since I think that would have ruined the look of the rifle in my opinion so I put a Leupold 3.5-10x40 VXIII CDS on it that I had on hand and I think it "fits" the rifle nicely.

It took me a couple months but I finally scored a box of ammo so I could break it in and see how it shot. I did my normal break in thing, 1 shot and clean X 5 and then 3 shots and clean and by the time I got to 3 shots and clean the barrel was cleaning pretty easy so I stopped there and I used those shots to get it zeroed at 100yrds. I also shot all 8 of those with my Labradar so I had some data to play with some targets further out, average was 2946fps (Factory Hornady 147gr match).

I built a profile in my ballistic app real fast and moved to the 500yrd target, dialed up and sent two. Impact was roughly a minute and a half low so I dialed up accordingly and made a good hit right on the money. Feeling pretty spry I moved to the 800yrd target, dialed up and sent one down range and to my surprise impact was ~3in low and 1in right. I didn't think that was too bad for being the 12th round through the rifle.

Anyways, sorry for rambling on but it was pretty nice to see that the rifle is capable and looks like it will get better with more rounds down the barrel as well as when I can finally get some reloads going for it and tune it a bit. Brass is my hang up right now, every time a note pops up that someone has brass available its gone before I can get to it. I do have 100 Lapua brass on order with Euro Optic that is supposed to be in stock in the April/May time frame so fingers crossed.

BTW…if anyone is in the North Central PA area and wants a place to shot look up the LEEK Hunting Preserve on FB. They bring wounded warriors in and take them hunting and on their facility they have a very nice shooting house with steel targets from 25 to 800yrds. They just started having what they call Open Range days where for $25 you can come in and shoot all day with them, they even have snacks/food, last shoot they had chili and kraut dogs. The next shoot is April 10th and the rest of the schedule is on their FB page. Good people and a good cause all the $$ goes to the organization so they can bring in more warriors. I just bought and donated 8 steel milk jugs from the long range shooters of Utah to them for their milk jug shoots they have.

Have a good one folks

Tom out……..

Attachments

• 1885.JPG
    1885.JPG
    10.5 KB · Views: 207
Thank you folks, its been on my radar for a lot of years just never could get my hands on one and was always reluctant to just order one sight unseen per say I then find out it wasnt all I thought it would be. It does feel nice in the hands, points really nice not a bench gun for sure but sitting against a tree with a set of shooting sticks or across a tree limb/against a tree is where it shines. Definitely looking forward to putting some more rounds through it and really seeing how accurate it can be. It will most likely be my "fair weather" hunting rig. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.