old primers already seated

Primers don't degrade in the original packaging, so there's no reason for them to degrade when seated in an empty case, as long as they've been stored in reasonably good conditions. Load em and send em.
Yeah, see even this is surprising to me. I firmly assumed that they did degrade unless sealed. I've been taking a plastic bag with me when I go to buy them, lol.

Yeah, see even this is surprising to me. I firmly assumed that they did degrade unless sealed. I've been taking a plastic bag with me when I go to buy them, lol.
I sometimes vacume seal them. Learned that on this site.

I sometimes vacume seal them. Learned that on this site.
I'm still shooting primers that I bought in the eighties. They still work great. There have been many threads here discussing old primers and some people on this site make my fourty year old primers seem almost new. They all work.

I'm still shooting primers that I bought in the eighties. They still work great. There have been many threads here discussing old primers and some people on this site make my fourty year old primers seem almost new. They all work.
Yeah I found a lot of those threads but I just immediately assumed that they had been stored carefully, but apparently they don't care much how they're treated.

. Some since I was 18
I see same threads all the time also. I guess the OP was wondering if being seated in cases for a period exposed was of concern. I probably shouldn't of brought up primer age . But at my age I don't care. 😆 I have a lot of old red and white CCI primer boxes .Some since I was 18. Holy SiT ! 😉

I'm with everyone else, load and shoot. Won't have any issues. I've got some that have been sitting in my loading block for about a year now lol that are prepped and primed, ready to be loaded. I keep telling myself any day now haha. Rifle has been at the gunsmith since November so I have an excuse at least haha.

Never had any issues with a primer going off while depriving a live primer. I do wear safety glasses, ear plugs, and make sure no open powder or other primers are near….. just in case 💥 😮

. Some since I was 18

I see same threads all the time also. I guess the OP was wondering if being seated in cases for a period exposed was of concern. I probably shouldn't of brought up primer age . But at my age I don't care. 😆 I have a lot of old red and white CCI primer boxes .Some since I was 18. Holy SiT ! 😉
Exactly, I realized they'd been sitting there like baby birds eating whatever dust amd moisture there was while I was fletching arrows, waxing strings and generally avoiding cleaning up. Thanks for the reassurance.

I'm with everyone else, load and shoot. Won't have any issues. I've got some that have been sitting in my loading block for about a year now lol that are prepped and primed, ready to be loaded. I keep telling myself any day now haha. Rifle has been at the gunsmith since November so I have an excuse at least haha.

Never had any issues with a primer going off while depriving a live primer. I do wear safety glasses, ear plugs, and make sure no open powder or other primers are near….. just in case 💥 😮
I have some 300 win mag and 300 rum sitting on top of load bench that been there over a year also. I'll have to blow the dust out of them. Someday...
😉

There are some threads on this, sort of, and I probably know the answer but here goes:

Let's say an impatient idiot, a hypothetical idiot, got ahead of himself last october and primed about 50 cases and only loaded 20 of them. Then the idiot left the primed cases in the tray on his bench in a cool, pretty dry basement in the desert and forgot about them until now. What's the best course of action? They are federal 210match if that makes a difference. I faintly remember hearing that some primers are sealed but that could be fantasy thinking. Should the fool dispose of them down his barrel? Load and fire them? soak them with water and deprime them? How long of a soak is needed to make them safe? I'm thankfully not primer poor yet, is there any reason to even consider using them? Thanks in advance.
Primers do not come in sealed containers. The instructions say to store in a cool dry place. They are just as cool and just as dry in a case as they are in the box they were shipped from the manufacturer in. I have some primers that are over 20 years old kept in a cool dry place and have never had a problem with them firing. I would not worry about it, finish loading the cases and go ahead and shoot them as normal.

. Some since I was 18

The OP wasn't talking about Cap & Ball primers. 🤣 🤣 🤣

The OP wasn't talking about Cap & Ball primers. 🤣 🤣 🤣
LMAO 😆 I have some of those also form 1970 ! I'm only a 64 old man. Pull that trans and get off me😆 just went and saw Maverick and 2000 Mules. Maverick good. Way better than Top Gun. 2000 Mules , awesome. I can't get "Political" but a must see. I know you probably haven't been to a theater in 20 years but worth it. Hey do you want to sell your 1864 musket ?

Last edited: