Old Fired Cases Won't Chamber in New Barrel

I recently rebarreled a 270wsm. I have close to 300 cases that were all fired in the previous barrel. I used some new cases to make the loads I used to break in the new barrel. I also used these newly fired cases to measure the headspace of the new barrel. This morning I FL sized a few of my old cases and bumped the shoulders .002" back. When I checked to make sure they would chamber, I found out they won't. They get hung up in the belt area of the case and I can't get the bolt to close.

The FL die I use is a Redding Type S FL Bushing Die. It touches the belt area of the case when I FL size it but obviously does not size it down sufficiently enough for the case to chamber in my new barrel.

Do I have any options for getting these previously fired cases sized so they will chamber and I can shoot them in my new barrel? I do have some new cases I can use, but not too many. And with how hard it is to find new cases these days, I would really like to use my old cases, especially because I have close to 300 of them and they would last me a long time.

Thanks for any advice.There is a company called Innovative Technologies that makes a die specifically for resizing belted magnums. It squeezes the case just above the belt. This is likely your problem. The die is referred to as a Collett die. I purchased it from innovative technologies. The gentleman's phone number is 407–6 95–2685. His name is Larry Willis, he is very knowledgeable and extremely helpful. Once you buy his die, you will use the same die for all belted magnum cases that you need to resize

I believe your problem is the shell case just above the belt of the belted magnum. This is a very difficult part of the case to resize. There's a company called innovative technologies, the owner is named Larry Willis. He sells a Collett dye that can be used to resize the case just above the belt. If you need Larry's phone number, I can provide it. I am not certain if it is against the rules of this site to post an individuals phone number even if it is to help his business. Good luck.

I often purchase Once fired Weatherby Brass, In Weatherby Boxes, In Both 270 Weatherby Mag and In 300 Weatherby Mag. I run all Brass though the resizing and DE priming RCBS die.. Then clean every case, then I go get the correct rifle, and Chamber each round to see if the bolt will close with Light to medium force . Cases that will not allow the bolt to close easily , go back to the resizing die with a 1/4 turn added. Clean the brass and rechamber again. I am sure this is a primitive way of sizing and there are probably much more exact ways to accomplish this, but this is as far as my reloading experience has taken me , thus far. It seems to work well. I am aware that in doing this I may be pushing the radius shoulder back too far, in an attempt to size the belt aera, but it will be for one firing only. Once all the cases work, and have been fired in my rifle, the die is readjusted back to its original setting. These 270 Weatherby Mag rounds will prepped , separated by weight , and added to the plastic boxes depending on their weight range, and be fired in my 270 Weatherby mag rifle only!! That will be their new home until its time to toss them.

Redding competition shell holders will do the opposite of what the original poster wants to do. A small base die may work.

I believe your problem is the shell case just above the belt of the belted magnum. This is a very difficult part of the case to resize. There's a company called innovative technologies, the owner is named Larry Willis. He sells a Collett dye that can be used to resize the case just above the belt. If you need Larry's phone number, I can provide it. I am not certain if it is against the rules of this site to post an individuals phone number even if it is to help his business. Good luck.
270WSM is non belted.

Should be able to tell (feel) if it's the web or shoulder issue.
They feel different.
As mentioned before. Case measure the newly fired case and bump back from there.
If its the web... As mentioned before, small base die.
Had to use a SB die on 284 Win after several firings in the past. Switched brass and all is good.

the full length Redding sizing die should work. Set the die up how Redding explains. Do you know your neck bore dimensions on the new barrel from your last barrel?

New piece of brass fits in the new barrel?

Small base sizing die (usually .003 extra in my 308 by my mic) will get it working fine. Every factory chamber when you go to custom chamber can have this problem. Common is my creeds and 308's when I find range brass. Best to just buy lapua and eat the price. My brass can go up to 15+ reloads especially in the 6.5 Creedmoor that seem to never need trimmed. 308's and my boomers (300 Norma and 375 Cheytac) they have to be canned around 10 reloads after about the 5th trim. The brass keeps stretching therefore thinning where you don't want it thinned (base). Good luck

I recently rebarreled a 270wsm. I have close to 300 cases that were all fired in the previous barrel. I used some new cases to make the loads I used to break in the new barrel. I also used these newly fired cases to measure the headspace of the new barrel. This morning I FL sized a few of my old cases and bumped the shoulders .002" back. When I checked to make sure they would chamber, I found out they won't. They get hung up in the belt area of the case and I can't get the bolt to close.

The FL die I use is a Redding Type S FL Bushing Die. It touches the belt area of the case when I FL size it but obviously does not size it down sufficiently enough for the case to chamber in my new barrel.

Do I have any options for getting these previously fired cases sized so they will chamber and I can shoot them in my new barrel? I do have some new cases I can use, but not too many. And with how hard it is to find new cases these days, I would really like to use my old cases, especially because I have close to 300 of them and they would last me a long time.

Thanks for any advice.
FL size the cases to SAAMI spec.

Thanks for any advice.
Full length size them. I did the same thing I put a new Bartline barrel on and the norma cases I had been using in the old Bartline would chamber and I had 2-300 primed already so I pulled the decamping pin then full length sized and had to tumble to get lube off but they work fine now.

Did you anneal the brass first and only run the FL sizing die part way down the round? agree that a old barrel and now you have a new barrel with old fired brass in a old barrel, issues for sure, resize to SAAMI a few and see what happens. And let us know please

Thanks for all the great replies! I know it's the web area of the case that's hanging up and not the shoulder. New brass loads fine. If I measure the diameter of the web area and compare a case fired in the old barrel to a case fired in the new barrel, it's wider in the case fired in the old barrel. I resized a case to the full extent my FL die will allow, screwed it all the way down, and it still won't chamber.

I need to try either a 300rum FL die or a base die, I would just buy some new Norma cases if I could find some.