Old Fired Cases Won't Chamber in New Barrel

So it looks like I have 2 options for a small base sizing die... RCBS #31331 or Redding #75255. Both say they will bump the shoulder back as well as the body and just won't touch the neck. Maybe I'm missing something here but can't I just do this with my current Redding Type S Bushing Style FL Die?? I can remove the bushing and all the guts inside the die and it won't touch the neck at all? Will the small base die size the body more than my regular FL die?

As a rifle builder, I tell all of my customers to buy as much new brass as they think they will need for the life of that barrel, especially if they do not own the reamer.
Great words of advice here. I almost bought my own reamer for this build. If I could find some new brass I'd just buy it and be done with it.

Great words of advice here. I almost bought my own reamer for this build. If I could find some new brass I'd just buy it and be done with it.
May not be the brand of brass you're looking for but I saw plenty of Winchester and some Nosler brass on Gunbroker a couple of days ago.

May not be the brand of brass you're looking for but I saw plenty of Winchester and some Nosler brass on Gunbroker a couple of days ago.
Thanks. Would like to find some Norma but this is good to know. Appreciate the heads up.

So it looks like I have 2 options for a small base sizing die... RCBS #31331 or Redding #75255. Both say they will bump the shoulder back as well as the body and just won't touch the neck. Maybe I'm missing something here but can't I just do this with my current Redding Type S Bushing Style FL Die?? I can remove the bushing and all the guts inside the die and it won't touch the neck at all? Will the small base die size the body more than my regular FL die?
The 31331 is what you really need, but I think they discontinued it.
The 75255 is a body die and may or may not work without bumping the shoulders back.
The 31331 you use just like a FL die except it sizes more down at the .200 line.
Theres 2 options, get the 75255 and have the shoulder are of the die parted off so it doesn't bump the shoulders or get a 300 RUM FL die like a cheap RCBS FL die and probably take off some off the top of the shell holder which you may have to do the body die route.
I would just get a RCBS 300 RUM FL die

The 31331 is what you really need, but I think they discontinued it.
The 75255 is a body die and may or may not work without bumping the shoulders back.
The 31331 you use just like a FL die except it sizes more down at the .200 line.
Theres 2 options, get the 75255 and have the shoulder are of the die parted off so it doesn't bump the shoulders or get a 300 RUM FL die like a cheap RCBS FL die and probably take off some off the top of the shell holder which you may have to do the body die route.
I would just get a RCBS 300 RUM FL die
Thanks. I have a 300RUM FL die that I tried but it didn't work. I use a CO-AX press and their S jaws for the shell holder. Is there anything I can do with this setup similar to sanding down a shell holder? I could get a shell holder adapter plate and then use a standard shell holder but I'd rather not have to mess with my press if I don't have to. Maybe the RCBS 31331 would work?

I recorded some measurements last night. All were taken in the web area of the case/.200 line.

New Winchester Case: 0.5530" (fits fine)
Winchester Case Fired 1x in this chamber and not sized: 0.5545" (fits fine)
Winchester Case Fired 1x in previous chamber and FL sized as much as I can with my FL die: 0.5570" (does not fit)

SAAMI spec is 0.555". My FL die won't size back to this spec. The most I can get it back to is 0.5570" maybe 0.5565". Could this be a die problem? I've never had any issues with quality Redding dies.

Attachments

• 270.jpg
    270.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 32
It could be a die problem but brass has a memory and work hardens.
Your problem is previous chamber was BIG. You may never get the older brass sized back enough. Fire a piece1X couple more times and see were it ends up after fired. If it sizes back .025 at the web your probably good to go.

Any room to shim between the brass and shell holder base?. Maybe elevating the brass to get it deeper into the die could help. Do you have a Bud with a more traditional type press who could size a few with your die and a std type shell holder?

He's gotta get the brass back .004, turning his current die down more I doudt will do anything but bump the shoulders back more and create further problems