243 won't chamber

dlebeck

I have a stock factory model7 in 243. I have owned the gun since it was new. Right out of the box it needed a new barrel, the first one had a bad chamber and would cause case head separations. I rarely shoot this gun, but have recently decided to reload some 100gr's for whitetails. I have never had a problem with factory ammo chambering, but today I can't get it to chamber a re-sized round to save my life. Tried a Forster FL die and a Redding body die, still no go. Fired a factory round to get a fresh brass, it's fits after firing, but won't fit after resizing with either die. ****, I think the chamber sucks on this thing still! On some brass it leaves a small shinny ring just ahead of the case web.

Doug

I've only been reloading for 6 months ... so keep that in mind. I've had a similar problem. I wasn't setting up the resizing die correctly. I backed it out 1/4 turn after touching the shell holder in the full up position instead of turning 1/4 turn further in....

Is the case length OK?

Take a fired case but unsized and roll it across the table and see if it wobbles worse than the tires on your grandad's Powerwagon. Then stand two case up on their bases so they are touching each other and slowly rotate each and see it the cases are still perpendicular to the base or if they look like the leaning tower of Pizza. If so you have an out of alignment chamber.

Finally, and most likely, see if you are getting the shoulder set back by the die. Some time the RCBS dies will bottom out on the shell holder before they move the shoulder back.

Is the case length OK?

Finally, and most likely, see if you are getting the shoulder set back by the die. Some time the RCBS dies will bottom out on the shell holder before they move the shoulder back.

That's what I would have thought except, like I said, I tried 2 different dies! But it does appear like a shoulder bump problem

I ran into this problem with my .280 dies trying to get the proper headspace for my prohunter. I solved the issue by taking a diamond stone and honing .003 off the shell holder. It took about 10 minutes and really did the trick. I would highly suggest that you take your time and hold it square. I was surprised how uneven the original shell holder was prior to this process. It is nice and square and works as intended now.

Originally Posted by boomtube
Crank your sizer down another 1/16 th of a turn.

"How do I do that? It's already bottomed out on the shell holder."

Okay, good question. But first, is it "bottomed out" on a raised ram with a case in the die or empty? Most folks do it without a case and that's a mistake. You want the contact to occur with the press fully stressed with the pressure of resizing.

IF you are bottomed correctly, you need to slightly modify the die with a little grinding, enough so you can get the case inserted another 2-3 thousanths. You can do it so easy, maybe too easy, possibly leading to excessive shortening. That's not too bad, per se, but it does call for you NOT to bottom the die on the shell holder later.

IF you choose to grind the die, remove the decapping spindle and measure the full length of the die body with a caliper. Then grind away no more than two thousants of the length. Clean the die and try sizing again. If the cases still don't fit, do it again until it does.

OR, you can grind off the top of the shell holder. I don't like that appoach but it's a personal thing, if it seems the die is the problem, I fix the die and leave the shellholder alone..

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.