Old 243AI case needed

ATH

I am building a 243AI on a Savage, meaning I will be setting headspace myself. I would prefer to have a fully formed 243AI case to aid in this process. If any one has an old case past its life they would be willing to send me, please let me know. I'll pay a few bucks for your time and aid.

Use a new 243 standard case. PM sent.

Thanks for the PM.

I've read from a couple sources that an AI chamber should be set 0.006" shorter than a standard chamber, which is why standard cases end up "crush fit". I have standard 243 cases and a standard 243 GO gauge. I read of a few gunsmiths using standard gauge then setting back 0.006". I have no idea how to do this with my equipment, which is why I was hoping to add a formed AI case into the mix of tools to use in confirming headspace.

They sell 243AI headspace gauges...figure there is a reason?? Don't know, just learning. I can see how, theoretically, changing the shoulder angle would change how the gauge fit by a few thousandths.

Just touch on a new brass and it will be at least .004" which is spec on the AI version. New unfired brass is always well undersized from what it's supposed to be. Usually more like .010" under.

Just touch on a new brass and it will be at least .004" which is spec on the AI version. New unfired brass is always well undersized from what it's supposed to be. Usually more like .010" under.

Thanks, the thought occurred to me. It appears I've located some brass maintained with the exact dies I will be purchasing.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.