Ok I am not a big fan of the 6.5 Creedmore

Status
Not open for further replies.
145 ELD-X SD .270 140 Elite SD .287 so a tie basically. Barrel life 6.5C at 2875 fps a bit less than the 270, 270 wins that one. Recoil? Well if recoil from a 270 is too much for you then by all means go for the 6.5C. Better velocity more energy and similar SD from 0 feet out to 500 yards the 270 win. ( especially the 140 SST Superformance at MV 3000 fps) beats out your hotroded 6.5C. So your hand loaded up to full pressure limits 6.5C (hell on barrel life) is almost equal to the 270 win out to 500 yards and edges ahead a little after that is not what I call "bettering", similar to is more like it. Now we have compared apples to apples (factory loadings that is) and 270 wins, we compared factory 270 to hand loaded 6.5C (apples to oranges) a tie and wonder how hand loaded maxed out 270 compares? Not going there don't like running my loads to max. So I am now convinced that if and whenever my 270 barrel goes south (about the time a 6.5C has its third tube spun on) I may be spinning up a 6.5X55 Sweed on my long action.
3 barrels on a Creed to 1 270 barrel??!! Man you smoking the strong stuff! My barrel life on my 270 was 1322 and then accuracy fell off bad. Cleaned it down to bare metal and still no improvement. Pulled the barrel now it's a 280 AI. Most people are getting 2000-2500 on a Creed until the accuracy goes. There is absolutely no way he will shoot out 3 barrels to your 1 270 win. with the same round count. Lastly saying a long action cartridge with 25% more powder can hang with or be in the same ball park as a short action cartridge lol whoopidy do. Let's compare your 270 Win to a magnum with 25% more powder room and see if it's close.

3 barrels on a Creed to 1 270 barrel??!! Man you smoking the strong stuff! My barrel life on my 270 was 1322 and then accuracy fell off bad. Cleaned it down to bare metal and still no improvement. Pulled the barrel now it's a 280 AI. Most people are getting 2000-2500 on a Creed until the accuracy goes. There is absolutely no way he will shoot out 3 barrels to your 1 270 win. with the same round count. Lastly saying a long action cartridge with 25% more powder can hang with or be in the same ball park as a short action cartridge lol whoopidy do. Let's compare your 270 Win to a magnum with 25% more powder room and see if it's close.
Hey I am very happy with 2900/3000 fps so no need for magnum. Short very fat cases or belted cases are just so so unsexy. So for me its 30-06 brass necked to some smaller bore or a Mauser 57 or 55 case necked to 7mm or less. What was your load shooting regime that fried your 270 in a 1000 rounds?

As a non-American, early-adopter of the 6.5 Creedmoor, I simply cannot understand the anti-Creedmoor sentiment in the country that developed it!
This cartridge has been a leading factor in an era of unprecedented innovation and improvement in rifle cartridge ballistics - led by the USA. It's a fantastic entry-level cartridge for attracting new people into rifle shooting, and has proven that it can compete with some of the most successful medium calibres of all time (Winchester's triumvirate of .243, .308 and .270), while offering match-level accuracy.

I cut my teeth hunting in the 1970s with my grandpa's open sight 6.5mm Mannlicher Schoenauer, but it was very slow & a nightmare to scope and I had to wait 30+ years to find a modern 6.5mm on true short action.
Since 2012 I've shot everything from Muntjac through Wild Boar, Mule Deer and Red Stags, up to Asiatic Elk with my 6.5 Creedmoor, and it's performed faultlessly. I no longer shoot 'at' animals, I place my shots on them.

I know 6.5mm used to be seen as a 'European' calibre, but surely Americans have got over that sort of prejudice! You guys invented one of the most successful new calibres in rifle history - why not celebrate it??

Last edited:
OK good to know my 6.5C barrels will go longer that the 1500 rounds everyone else tells me they will last. BTW the discussion you chimed in on was not which round was more efficient but with round performed at or out to 500 yards. The 270 basically is ahead of the 6.5C out to 500 yards at that point it switches over. Up to 500 yards the 270, especially in the 140SST Superformance has less drop, more velocity and more energy than the 6.5C. So that was the discussion, not referring to efficiency just covering the net results at the muzzle out to 500 yards. Since my furthest shot on game was inside 400 yards and since I do not expect that to change the 270 recoil is still not that much that I want to give up the MV, energy on game and slight drop advantage to got 6.5C in the field. Other than that we appreciate your erudition.

As a non-American, early-adopter of the 6.5 Creedmoor, I simply cannot understand the anti-Creedmoor sentiment in the country that developed it!
This cartridge has been a leading factor in an era of unprecedented innovation and improvement in rifle cartridge ballistics - led by the USA. It's a fantastic entry-level cartridge for attracting new people into rifle shooting, and has proven that it can compete with some of the most successful medium calibres of all time (Winchester's triumvirate of .243, .308 Rem and .270), while offering match-level accuracy.

I cut my teeth hunting in the 1970s with my grandpa's open sight 6.5mm Mannlicher Schoenauer, but it was very slow & a nightmare to scope and I had to wait 30+ years to find a modern 6.5mm on true short action.
Since 2012 I've shot everything from Muntjac through Wild Boar, Mule Deer and Red Stags, up to Asiatic Elk with my 6.5 Creedmoor, and it's performed faultlessly. I no longer shoot 'at' animals, I place my shots on them.

I know 6.5mm used to be seen as a 'European' calibre, but surely Americans have got over that sort of prejudice! You guys invented one of the most successful new calibres in rifle history - why not celebrate it??
I agree I do not get all the anti 6.5C mumbo jumbo. If the 243, 250-3000, 6.5X55, 257 Roberts and 270 WIN are decent hunting rounds then so is the 6.5C. That Remington flubbed up the 260 is not on Hornady that's Remingtons fault.

OK good to know my 6.5C barrels will go longer that the 1500 rounds everyone else tells me they will last. BTW the discussion you chimed in on was not which round was more efficient but with round performed at or out to 500 yards. The 270 basically is ahead of the 6.5C out to 500 yards at that point it switches over. Up to 500 yards the 270, especially in the 140SST Superformance has less drop, more velocity and more energy than the 6.5C. So that was the discussion, not referring to efficiency just covering the net results at the muzzle out to 500 yards. Since my furthest shot on game was inside 400 yards and since I do not expect that to change the 270 recoil is still not that much that I want to give up the MV, energy on game and slight drop advantage to got 6.5C in the field. Other than that we appreciate your erudition.
Whomever has told you a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel will go for only 1500 is just down playing the cartridge like the haters love to do. A quick search on the internet will show you that many have fired it 2000+ before it goes down. In regards to the comparison you have it correct, the 270 Win will do better to 500 yards. At 500 yards the Creedmoor will take the lead. Either will work on game out to 500 as would a 243 or others. looks like you mentioned that in post #495.
What load was I using on my 270 Win that lasted 1322? I used W760 at 52.5...I think, I would have to look. The first 700 rounds were fired by my grandfather. I only chimed in on your conversation because I am sick of misinformation. Some idiot will come along and read he can have 1 270 Win barrels to every 3 Creed barrels and thats just nonsense. The Creedmoor was designed as a target cartridge for PRS shooting so barrel life would be at a premium. As you push the Creed faster of course your barrel life will go down but would still be in the same range as a 270 Win.

I just cannot get excited as some people seem to be about the 6.5 creedmore. I have never been a real fan of the 243 either. I am speaking specifically about using these calibers at 4-500 plus yards. I think a heavier bullet and a bigger diameter is in order for long range shots on elk, moose, bear especially. Whitetail deer ok I guess but the wound channel may not be effective on marginal hit. Just my two cents. How do you other long range hunters feel about this?

This cartridge has been a leading factor in an era of unprecedented innovation and improvement in rifle cartridge ballistics - led by the USA. It's a fantastic entry-level cartridge for attracting new people into rifle shooting, and has proven that it can compete with some of the most successful medium calibres of all time (Winchester's triumvirate of .243, .308 and .270), while offering match-level accuracy.

People struggle with change or if something makes them rethink a decision they made in the past. So rather than be excited there is something new they find reason to hate the new or justify their past decision. Others see it as a new rendition of something old and dont see the purpose. Just my 2 cents.

I agree with you for the most part longer range less wind drift better energy.
However take smaller animals such antelope, the little javelina, coyotes ect I don't want a larger cali er on them because of the flesh and hide damage on the exit wound and the amount of meat it destroys. That 6.5 is great round it just like any other round has it time a d ace for use.

I agree with you for the most part longer range less wind drift better energy.
However take smaller animals such antelope, the little javelina, coyotes ect I don't want a larger cali er on them because of the flesh and hide damage on the exit wound and the amount of meat it destroys. That 6.5 is great round it just like any other round has it time a d ace for use.
I agree, I prefer more energy for larger game. I shoot a 28 Nosler for elk and up. You can use a Creed on elk or moose but everything has to be just right at that point. Might as well give yourself a bit more. A 180 Berger Hybrid at 3150 is nasty powerful.

Whomever has told you a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel will go for only 1500 is just down playing the cartridge like the haters love to do. A quick search on the internet will show you that many have fired it 2000+ before it goes down. In regards to the comparison you have it correct, the 270 Win will do better to 500 yards. At 500 yards the Creedmoor will take the lead. Either will work on game out to 500 as would a 243 or others. looks like you mentioned that in post #495.
What load was I using on my 270 Win that lasted 1322? I used W760 at 52.5...I think, I would have to look. The first 700 rounds were fired by my grandfather. I only chimed in on your conversation because I am sick of misinformation. Some idiot will come along and read he can have 1 270 Win barrels to every 3 Creed barrels and thats just nonsense. The Creedmoor was designed as a target cartridge for PRS shooting so barrel life would be at a premium. As you push the Creed faster of course your barrel life will go down but would still be in the same range as a 270 Win.
My info on round count comes from talking to fellow competitors shooting 600/1000 yard F class and at PRS matches, so not 6.5 haters. Thats just what I hear from fellow shooters at matches. Hey 2500 rounds means I have a lot more rounds to go.

My info on round count comes from talking to fellow competitors shooting 600/1000 yard F class and at PRS matches, so not 6.5 haters. Thats just what I hear from fellow shooters at matches. Hey 2500 rounds means I have a lot more rounds to go.
If you're hearing that from fellow competitors it's likely correct. However that sounds like 6 creed numbers to me. Also barrel life has many factors: firing strings, cleaning, coating etc. All the threads I have read and my own experience says you'll get 2000+ from a Creed barrel.

My first 6.5 CM barrel lasted for 3200 rounds. At that point I was having issues touching the lands. I used it in 600 F-Class for 2 years. I ran it at 2700 FPS. Some RPS shooters have stated the 3200 to 3500 number before. Just depends on who you talk to.

My first 6.5 CM barrel lasted for 3200 rounds. At that point I was having issues touching the lands. I used it in 600 F-Class for 2 years. I ran it at 2700 FPS. Some RPS shooters have stated the 3200 to 3500 number before. Just depends on who you talk to.
Planning to use mine for 600 yd F-class to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts