Ok I am not a big fan of the 6.5 Creedmore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent. I knew somebody would do it eventually.

So you're saying that ethics no longer should apply as a blanket standard for all hunters? The same hunters who have hunting and firearm right under attack daily because were viewed as moral degenerates?

Just asking.
Who said anything about ethics? I said nothing of the sort. Just agreeing with VLDpilots statement.

So you're saying that ethics no longer should apply as a blanket standard for all hunters? The same hunters who have hunting and firearm right under attack daily because were viewed as moral degenerates?

Just asking.
Should a hunters marksmanship be under ethical scrutiny?
Not much different than scrutinizing which large caliber rifle they're using?
Ethical hunting is a lot more than toting around a magnum.

Just asking.
Nope. Everyone should know their limitations with their personal rifle. Simple as that. Some guys can't shoot worth a ****. Some can shoot phenomenally well. Some average. It's nobody's job to decide which rifle another guy chooses to hunt with. I know some guys that shouldn't hunt with a 338 LM for anything. Other guys can get it done with a 243.

Like was stated several times earlier. This thread is really really stale. Time to move on. Good luck with anything you chose to shoot.

Should a hunters marksmanship be under ethical scrutiny?
Not much different than scrutinizing which large caliber rifle they're using?
Ethical hunting is a lot more than toting around a magnum.
Yes...If they consistently make bad shots on game, and have to track them over and over and over again for long distances. Yes, they're obviously more concerned with killing something, than improving their shooting skills. Little do they realize, that were they to do the latter, they would automatically improve the former.

Last edited:
Yes...If they consistently make bad shots on game, and have to track them over and over and over again for long distances. Yes, they're obviously more concerned with killing something, can improving their shooting skills. Little do they realize, that were they to do the latter, they would automatically improve the former.

I think what he said was know yourself, know your capabilities with the rifle/cartridge you are using and shoot within those capabilities.

I believe the majority of the posters on this site are Eth... (we are not suppose to discuss this word and subject) Hunters. Because they live within their limitations.

While this is a long range hunting site, I suspect most of us would not take a shot at an Elk over about 750 yards.. and most of us at less than 500 yards. We have a caliber/cartridge (you may disagree) that is capable, the scope that is capable, an electronic range finder and we know how well we shoot.

I have mentioned many times that I grew up with elk around the house. Most I have shot with a .25-06 a few with a .30-06 and a few with a 6 mm Remington. Have never left one in the field. I don't take pokes that I shouldn't. And I recently built your favorite yuppee cartridge rifle to use next year. it is a step up in bullet weight for me.. 140/147 vs 110/117/120 in the .25 caliber and energy.

And my 2 cents. I was at the range bench shooting my .308. 3other shooters with AR platforms all in 6.5 Creedmoor talking around during cold target changes. each one individually stated "yeah I shot my Creedmoor to a mile".

And my 2 cents. I was at the range bench shooting my .308. 3other shooters with AR platforms all in 6.5 Creedmoor talking around during cold target changes. each one individually stated "yeah I shot my Creedmoor to a mile".
That's when you just shake your head and laugh and keep doing your own thing...In reality.

Ummmm.......I don't think anyone on here wants to see the cartridge fail, I am thinking that most of the critical remarks are against the marketing hype. I don't think that the cartridge will ever fail for at least one or two years, then the next greatest, latest, long range, five-mile dragon slayer, the .25 Creedmore or whatever will come out. From there the 6.5 Creed will fall off into the dust because of the new cartridge and marketing hype. Sort of like how the .280 Ackley Improved has done. How many articles do you read about the .280AI, probably none! I have at least 4-5 hunting, shooting or reloading magazine subscriptions, don't see the .280AI in them. For a person who is looking for a long-range cartridge, that uses a minimal amount of powder, with a large selection of bullets, the .280AI is a tough cartridge to beat!! The 6.5 Creedmore is a great cartridge, but.... like any cartridge it has its limitations, some people are of the belief that it can kill anything at long distances and most of us critiquing the round do not. It's not the cartridge, it's the marketing "Creedmore cool-aide" that some shooters have drank causing the negativism.
There is an extremely big difference between your analogy with the 280ai and that is rifle support. Again, EVERY gun manufacturer has adopted the 6.5cm and most offer it in several models! This alone will likely keep the 6.5cm going, even if a new "latest and greatest" ammo is released. That is why Hornady is succeeding and other new rounds are not. Hornady made sure there is tons of ammo support AND tons of rifle support. also, the military has adopted it as well. Other cartridge designers....not so much. Like the WSM. Loved those rounds. Could the 300wsm beat the 300 winmag...no...but was it cool having a non-belted short cartridge...YUP! The WSM downfall was both on the ammo and rifle availability side. Both were pretty limited. Do I think the 6.5cm will be as popular 10 years from now as it is now...no. Everything slows down BUT will there still be factory offerings of rifles and ammo around, you can bet on it (unless some crazy new technology comes out for hunting which allows for crazy cartridge designs).

Status
Not open for further replies.