Oh ****

Kenster-Boy

I accidentily dumped about an ounce and a half of Aliant Reloader 22 into a full pound of Alliant Bullseye. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif and I don't really know what it would do to load it in a .38 pistol. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions as to what I do. I really don't want to dump it out cuz of money loss but then again I don't want to blow up any guns either.

Thanks for any advice, Ken

[ QUOTE ]
I accidentily dumped about an ounce and a half of Aliant Reloader 22 into a full pound of Alliant Bullseye. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif and I don't really know what it would do to load it in a .38 pistol. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions as to what I do. I really don't want to dump it out cuz of money loss but then again I don't want to blow up any guns either.

Thanks for any advice, Ken

[/ QUOTE ] Do you have any house plants? If so, this makes a vary good fertilizer for the plants. I would use at the rate of one teaspoon per plant. Works great on your rose bushes also. Don't even think of trying to save this mess for loading, LIFE IS TO SHORT, GUNS NOT THAT CHEAP!

What's done is done, get rid of it!

In the future: KEEP ONLY ONE CAN OF POWDER ON THE BENCH AT A TIME, THAT WHICH IS IN THE POWDER DISPENSOR ONLY. AND KEEP IT THERE ON THE BENCH SO YOU KNOW WHAT'S IN THE DISPENSOR.

Do not buy opened containers of powder, or any powder that's been opened that you have ANY doubt of its contents, and I mean ANY REMOTE DOUBTS ABOUT... just don't do it.

I have blown up a rifle by doing JUST THAT.

An ounce and a half of RL22 probably wouldn't bother anything but, $20 for another pound of Bullseye is nothing compared to the complications that COULD result from a squib load, or a high PSI load for some unknown reason.

At the very least, you've got two eyes now, and they're unreplacable, which certainly makes them worth more than the $20 you stand to save.

hmm....
If its an ounce and a half thats 656gr of the slow powder into 7000gr of fast powder.
Thats just a bit under 10%...
My initial thought is that as long as you are using a load which would not be over max for the fast powder, you oughta be alright. Im betting your velocity will vary a good bit depending on weather you get mostly fast, or mostly slow... but maybe...just maybe if it was well mixed...
The way I see it youve got 3 options.
1. plant food.
2. try to find a screen with a mesh size approprate for seperating the powders
3. load it up and do a test.
ive got a cheap (junk pot metal $20 gunshow special ***) 38spl revolver I acquired to demonstrate all the risks associated with the "tactical disarmerment" situations that the media loves to talk about aka: "why didn't your super well trained police sniper just shoot the gun out of the bad guys hand?" The cylinder lockup is loose enough that it shaves lead, but if you decide to test, ill donate the old junk revolver to the cause. Ive got a concrete block and steel building that I use for static testing rocket motors, so saftey isn't a real issue. Let me know if youre interested.
In the end, the old addage might be the best solution...
Advise is what you ask for when you already know the answer, and don't like it.... in other words.... plant food. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Oh $h!T is right. If you have never seen fire come out of all orifices at once just go ahead and load that stuff up. Maybe nothing will happen. Maybe something will.

I want to hear about ABINOK's rocket motor gun

Unless you've some way to get rid of the top layer of powder, it's in there to stay. But Reloder 22 is a slow powder, and slower than Bullseye by just an enormous amount. It's hard to imagine a less than 10% mixture of much-much-much slower powder causing a blowup or other dangerous situation. If it were me, I'd mix it together very thoroughly and try it. If it doesn't shoot to your satisfaction, it can always be dumped.

I grabbed a bottle of my brother's H380 and loaded some 308 Win rounds up to test with increasing charges.

The first (low end load) load I fired over the Oehler 43 resulted in an extra loud BOOM and lots of smoke. I glanced at the screen of the laptop computer setting just to the right of the rifle there on my Bronco's tailgate to see the M43 register 80,000 PSI. I didn't notice what the MV was but saw the bullet POI was about 8" high or so. Either an error in MV or BC resulted in a dashed line through the shot fired on the display, which simply indicates the shot will be overwrighten by the next shot unless you toggle the dashed line OFF. Well, something I did shortly after this triggered the strain gage to record another shot, or something the sky screens sensed did. The shot was recorded over in any event.

The rifle was a Springfield Armory M14 SS Match. The receiver was intact, the lower half of the bolt face was blown off but the bolt remained in lockup. The base of the case ruptured, which blew the lower bolt face off, blew the other two cartridges in the mag in half and out the mag. The spring, follower and ammo were blown out the bulging mag and all over the place. The fiberglass stock was split almost full length of the forearm, and about 6" back through the wrist area on top and bottom both. Of course the OP rod was bent, the barrel I was never sure of.

Later on Springfield Armory sold me a complete new rifle for $500 as the receiver was indeed found to have hairline cracks all around the receiver ring and lug abutment area. This was over a $1500 dollar rifle keep in mind, so $500 was a pretty fair deal in my mind.

Turned out it was NOT H380 in the bottle. My brother had dumped something else (still unknown, as he can't remember) in the bottle and did not mark it as such. It was stick powder though, not H380 (ball powder). Had I ever used H380 before, that would have been my first red flag when I was loading them. I still have samples of the powder that was used and I do know it's nothing I've used before.

My brother's friend, when they were both still teenagers, fired a squib load in a 38 Special of his, and not knowing the bullet had just lodged itself several inches down this worn out barrel, he proceeded to get "four or five" more full house loads lodged behind it! Still wondering why they could not see the impacts on the 4'x4' sheet of plywood set at fairly close range the next one fired finally stopped between the frame and cylinder and locked the cylinder. Barrel was extremely bulged and they were real lucky the action held together!

I had this happen to me one time with my Colt Anaconda and some handloads I missed charging a round on. Luckily the primer didn't have enough energy to get the bullet clear of the cylinder the "first" shot and locked it up, cause I was attempting to fire it again when it would not cock again!

Something that very well may work to seperate the two for sure is to take an exacto knife or such and carefully cut around the top of the can and cut it off to see better, then cut it off again well below that which you can be sure will be below the RL22 you've poured on top of the Bullseye. Powder is going to go everywhere but you should still have most of the can of Bullseye left below the RL22 uncontaminated, you'll just need another sealed container to funnel it into is all.

Not to be a smart ***...But is all this really worth a 15-20 dollar of powder. Dump it and forget about it.

Lab

Thanks Brent My dad had already suggested cutting off the top third or quarter of the container and just sliding it off, then dumping the good two thirds into another container to be loaded.

Thanks everyone for the replies and I am sort of glad that I didn't load any of it. Better safe than sorry eh?

Kind of reminds me of the time I was cutting down a tree in my yard. My neighbor said wait a minute while I get my video recorder, I don't want to mis this one if it goes through your house. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.