Obermeyer barrel w/ Berger bullet?

.284me

Just wondering if the thin jacket of the Berger hunting bullet is ok to shoot from an Obermeyer barrel? I'm looking for a barrel for my 7mm Dakota build and it seems like Obermeyer is the only one that runs a tighter bore diameter, .274 vs .277 from most other manufacturers for the 5R rifling. On the bugholes web page it warns the consumer to be aware of this before ordering. Also, does it make it harder for the smith that will be building this for me to find a pilot for the reamer? My plan is to shoot the 180 Berger from a 26-28" bbl. Thanks

That was my initial thought too. At the same time though, this is Boots Obermeyer right? The guy that brought the design to the US market, from what I understand anyway. Kreiger advertises their 5R as being "Obermeyer approved" but they, as well as Bartlein I believe, dont have the tighter bore. Sounds like Obermeyer runs a nominal groove diameter of .284 or larger for the 7mm but he doesn't really specify. My thought would be that it would deform the rifling a little more but then again you don't have the sharp edge of the conventional rifling. Anybody have an Obermeyer that can chime in?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.