NWT Dall Sheep and Moose hunt

MTsmith

My son (16 yrs old) and I are going on a hunting trip of a lifetime (hopefully) next September to the NWT for Dall Sheep and Moose.

I am looking for everyone's input and suggestions on spotting scopes, tripods and heads. I currently use a Swaro 20x-60x with a 65mm objective yet I'm wondering if the weight will be a bit much. Any thoughts or other suggestions?

Also, I currently have short lighter tripods (Spartan is what I have) yet I think it likely that we may be in dense brush when moose hunting and may need to use a tall tripod to shoot off of. Any other suggestions? That being said, we both have arca style rails on our rifles and I'm wondering if there are suggestions for particular arca style heads?

Thank you for your thoughts and input.
MTSmith

Have you talked to the outfitter? I'd think the guide would have the spotting scope, but may be wrong there. If not, the Swaro will be ok. I used a lighter 15-45 B&L becuase I hunted by myself, but if I had a Swaro I'd carry it for the superb optics.
As far as the tripod goes for moose, I wouldn't bother. I guess if you are really practiced and quick about using them it would be a benefit, but I can't imagine using one in brush country. For moose you are usually either in offhand range if close or above them on a hillside where you can sit or use a backpack.
One other option would be to use a walking stick. Useful for climbing up and down in sheep country and can steady an offhand shot on moose.
Either way, good luck and have fun. Should be an awesome hunt.

Take a look at the Revic Stabilizer Backpacker Tripod
  • ARCA dovetail with 2 included ARCA rails, pairs with optics or Gunwerks Magnus & Verdict ARCA rails
  • Ball head with pan feature & multiple tensioning knobs
  • 5 Section Carbon Fiber legs
  • 3 angle stops on legs
  • Interchangeable Rubber and Spike feet
  • Min height: 3", Max height: 50"
  • Collapsed Length: 18.3"
  • Weight: 2.3 lbs
  • Includes: Instructions, Allen Wrenches, Weight Hook, Second Arca-Swiss Plate, Carrying Case
TRIPOD RS-255c
  • Carbon fiber
  • 5 Section
  • 15.5 inch folded length
  • 47.5 inch Max Height
  • 2.25 inch Min Height
  • 1.65 lbs Weight+ Max Load 17.5 lbs
  • 1/4 turn twist leg locks
BALL HEAD RB-30
  • 30mm Ball Diameter
  • 3/8"-16 Mounting Hole
  • 3.875 inch Height
  • 33 lbs Max Load
  • .66 lbs Weight
  • Screw-Knob
  • ARCA style dovetail mount

Talk to the outfitter on the optics—a lot of times they have what they like and use it—I've taken my Swarovski 60mm angled on a outdoorsman tripod…it worked—what I will say…good rain gear and jackets and pants are a must. Stay dry and warm are a paramount in making it a fun experience. Spend time and money in your boots too—you are liable to put some miles in—either on your feet, a horse, or both…enjoy your time with your son…time goes too quick.

I would say go as light as you can while not sacrificing quality. I would place both those items high on the priority list of things where you want strong performance, along with boots and rifle. I have a RRS tripod which may be heavier than makes sense for you, but their Anvil head is awesome, as are the tripods as far as stability and strength.

As stated above talk to your outfitter they usually have a list they want you to bring and don't like extra stuff because of weight if your flying in which im guessing you are.

I've never hunted moose in NWT but I've been to Newfoundland 3 times and I used bog pod shooting sticks they doubled as a good walking stick. As far as optics what you have will work. Sometimes moose can't exactly hide too well here's a picture 1200 yards away of one I shot last year 😀 good luck and have fun

Attachments

• FEE9B15C-30D1-477D-B3A3-A68450416CD9.jpeg
    FEE9B15C-30D1-477D-B3A3-A68450416CD9.jpeg
    691.7 KB · Views: 44
I guy I know is a moose-aholic. Hes already been about 5x and along the way he has found, as others have suggested, speak to the outfitter first. Hes been to both Canada and Alaska.