Now your gun and ammo purchases will be tracked

So the credit card company can see what your purchasing? Or are they trying to force the retailer to show them what the purchase was with a code which will probably be automated through a computer system. I would have figured the credit card company can see where the purchase was made and obviously the amount but what the single items you are buying? What if the gun stores won't allow this is there a way they can refuse to offer this information to the cc company I wonder. But wow we are headed down a dark path.

"Today's announcement is a critical first step towards giving banks and credit card companies the tools they need to recognize dangerous firearm purchasing trends – like a domestic extremist building up an arsenal – and report them to law enforcement," he said in a statement shared with the Guardian......John Feinblatt, president of Everytown for Gun Safety

Welcome to the crazy train! All aboard!

It sounds like the retailer of firearms and ammo will have a new CC code providing that it is their primary business. It doesn't sound like the retailer will code in anything to me.

And what about places like Dicks where they sell guns but their primary business is sporting goods, or Walmart where guns are only a small fraction of their business?

Credit card companies use to have a clause in their merchant contract that prohibited them from charging more when a customer used their credit card. That stopped a while ago but it's only recently that I've noticed a wide-scale policy of charging consumers, of virtually anything, with an additional 3%. People will be converting much of their purchases back to cash. I have!

OK. I'm going to attempt to educate you all. I know...

So credit cards like visa are companies. Imagine your favorite cash back rewards card. It's likely an agreement with a bank or credit union and one of those credit card companies.

Those companies own the cards. But they DO NOT OWN THE NETWORKS THOSE TRANSACTIONS ARE RUN ON. Those networks. Call them cables if you will. Those are owned by different companies.

Those different companies get to make up their own rules and do. Then banks get to decide to use which one of those lines. Bank of America uses the one that prohibits any firearm related transactions to be processed accross their lines. Many others do as well.

Previously firearm related transactions were coded as sporting goods. And bank of America would love to setup your firearm business to process credit cards through them. And they would. Humm profits.

Eventually the network would find out they were firearm related charges and tell bank of America to close your account. And they would. And bank of America would get to freeze your funds based on their terms of service. That's right. It was predatory for a reason. Many many firearm related business got their accounts shut down or frozen because of this.

It's not visa who is out to get you. It's the backend providers who do the transfers. Visa is complying with them. And in some ways it might be better for firearm related businesses.

These same backend providers also have rules regarding sex related, vape or smoking related, etc accounts and transactions. It's a game and its been around for a long while.

I'd wager there are a pile of gun companies currently at jeopardy because they trusted their bankers.

Here is one such backend. First Data