Now your gun and ammo purchases will be tracked

It sounds like the retailer of firearms and ammo will have a new CC code providing that it is their primary business. It doesn't sound like the retailer will code in anything to me.

And what about places like Dicks where they sell guns but their primary business is sporting goods, or Walmart where guns are only a small fraction of their business?

Credit card companies use to have a clause in their merchant contract that prohibited them from charging more when a customer used their credit card. That stopped a while ago but it's only recently that I've noticed a wide-scale policy of charging consumers, of virtually anything, with an additional 3%. People will be converting much of their purchases back to cash. I have!
My understanding too, that rather than individual cc purchases being coding by the retailer, each retailer selling guns has all cc sales flagged as firearm sales. I don't know how Scheels, etc, will get around that, possibly by having cc sales that come from the gun counter flagged.

"Environmental, Social and Governance", the dystopian unholy alliance of large private investors/companies and government. This poison emanates from organizations like the Global Economic Forum and the likes of Klaus Schwab et al.

"ESG stands for Environmental Social and Governance, and refers to the three key factors when measuring the sustainability and ethical impact of an investment in a business or company. Most socially responsible investors check companies out using ESG criteria to screen investments." (From Market Business News)

It is galling that Progressives are calling Conservatives "Fascists", when the very definition of Fascism is the union of private investors or companies with powerful government to control the populace!

for your liberal friends
Good point, but they don't care about how many mass shootings occur, or the safety of the public. It's about getting rid of ALL GUNS..... They think the Gov will take care of you, and make you safe....... Just ask the Native Americans how that worked out...... Here's some Blankets for you and yours!!

My guess is with this new MCC (merchant category code), they will have a higher associated rate for the transaction compared to an MCC for other sporting goods. Most MCC codes are really about the credit card fee that will be associated with the transaction. The interesting thing is an MCC is for a merchant, not a purchase, so I am assuming anyone who sells firearms or ammunition would get this MCC. Makes me wonder if someone like WalMart, who sells everything would have to use this code or will be kept under whatever their current MCC is. I would assume the later. I would guess this will really only impact places that sell majority guns and ammo.

My guess is with this new MCC (merchant category code), they will have a higher associated rate for the transaction compared to an MCC for other sporting goods. Most MCC codes are really about the credit card fee that will be associated with the transaction. The interesting thing is an MCC is for a merchant, not a purchase, so I am assuming anyone who sells firearms or ammunition would get this MCC. Makes me wonder if someone like WalMart, who sells everything would have to use this code or will be kept under whatever their current MCC is. I would assume the later. I would guess this will really only impact places that sell majority guns and ammo.
Very Good point......Let's see how it plays out....Really Good Point!

NPR article all sales from store that sales guns ammo flagged.
A gun safe would flag you / us.
Only if purchased from somewhere that has the gun/ammo MCC code. NPR is most likely blowing this out of proportion as it wouldn't sound as "good" if they said "only merchants that identify as firearm and ammo sales retailers will receive this code."

There is also a slight bit of wiggle room in determining your MCC as well. Using WaMart as an example, ammo and gun sales do not make up the majority of their sales, so it would be incorrect to categorize them as such. I wouldn't be shocked if someplace like Scheels doesn't qualify either. If Scheels did qualify, it means every transaction with them, be it for ammo or golf clubs, would be flagged. Also, doubt most ammo is being bought with a business card, so level 3 transaction data wouldn't even be sent ( level 3 data is what gives item details of the transactions).

I really think this is a spin on a MCC with higher credit card fees cleverly disguised as a "public safety" measure.

More.......

Some key words:
"Tracking is illegal but some tracking needs to be done - phone calls" - alert to location of potential problem areas.
"Exciting"
"Should a purchaser arrive with $10 - $20 thousand cash to buy guns & ammunition the seller needs to flag that purchaser as a ......"
Use of the word "children" periodically.

The entire presented tone is that this action is perfectly reasonable and will save lives (children) and nobody needs to be concerned about personal rights like 2nd Amendment. My thinking is that info collected from transactions will be stored and used for political purposes & manipulation. Credit card account numbers to specific account name would be an easy link. A system that can be easily abused for political purposes.