Novice reloader looking for help

Did read some of the replies, you NEED CASE LUB , I use a light coat of imperial both the lube and dry for seating . If you try without lube, look out for huge problems, and ck the die , make sure the little hole is open towards the top in the threads , it's tiny hole but lets the air out, if you build up pressure it will cave in the cartridge. Read your loading book for info.
Info only: Redding dies do not have a vent hole.

That's a good question. On the cases that were badly dented I'd suggest to a novice loader to just rid of them. Like I said I'd use the paper clip trick to check all your cases first. Then yes I would resize by bumping the shoulders back maybe 0.002". There are plenty on youtube videos on bumping the shoulder. You could use your full length resize die to neck size only, but I prefer bumping the shoulders or even full length resize to neck size only.
Hold on, you are not sizing any of theses cases? Guess that makes sense as you did not lube them at all. So what was your process. Started with new cases, Did you neck size? Chamfer? Primed the case, charged the case then seated the bullet. You fired the cases. Any cases deform on the first firing?? Second firing, you did not FL size or bump, followed same process as above, clean, neck size and prep, prime, charge and seat? Did the rounds chamber easily? If the cases had been fired in a SAMMI chamber it should expand enough to feel tight when rechambering and closing the bolt. If not the cases are most likely Not sealing the neck and shoulder area. The gas blows back along the Case wall collapsing it in. You will also see powder residue on the neck shoulder area of the fired case when this happens sometimes. It may be the brass you bought and the chamber you have are on the opposite ends of SAMMI spec? The fact it happens occasionally suggest this as it only takes .001 too much outside of the range where it will seal to cause this issue. We see it when our cases need annealing from being resized. The brass hardens and will not expand enough to seal the chamber and send all the gas down the barrel. We anneal every firing now. Your situation is not due to over working or hard cases as it is new brass, unless it was not annealed by the manufacturer. Low pressure could be the cause but I think you had enough pop to expand the case. We fireform BRA and SS cases with 10% reduced loads and they blow out into the chamber. Your mild load should expand the brass into the chamber. I think it is the fit of the case into the chamber not the reduced charge. Also check all the case heads. When brass is allowed to stretch and does not seal it could begin to separate. If you have a 7mm chamber go gauge check your chamber size and head space or maybe fire some factory ammo or if you have did it function fine? 🤷🏻‍♂️

I have done this myself. Actual powder kernels or parts of powder kernels were generating gas to cause the dents (bubbles) in the case. My problem was caused by seating too long and bullets were pulled by grabbing the lands in the forcing cone, spilling powder into the chamber. Seating the next round with powder kernels and firing, without effective cleaning of the chamber. I strongly believe you had powder kernels or parts of kernels around the neck of the case.

Man it is great that everyone is wanting to always be so helpful on here but it really is a waste of time if you do not read the whole post.

PO. I realize that this is not happening during your reloading process and you have many helpful ideas here. However, you are asking for trouble by NOT using case lube when resizing. No matter how clean you get your brass.

Novice reloader, loading about a year now, i was working on load development for my 7MM RM, was on low end of charge and 1 round developed 3 wrinkles just below case neck, brass was of name brand, this was the 3rd time it had been loaded, i was clocking the rounds and it was in range of the 6 rounds i speed checked, can anyone tell me why only this one case did this.
How many times have you loaded that case? Could just be bad metallurgy in that one.

I've seen that happen on 7 RUM. We noticed when using Oehler Ballistics lab you'd see a double spike with certain powders. It was almost twenty years ago so I don't remember the specifics. But the idea was the bullet would get lodged in the throat causing one spike and gas to bleed into the shoulder which was thought to cause those dents. Then another spike disloding the bullet sending it on it's way. I have to second the motion that it looks like a case head failure there.
But this isn't happening after firing the it's in the reloading process or I'm I all wet?

I think I see a case separation crack at your thumb area. What is that black ring?
I see the same thing on possible case separation. You need to set up a paperclip. 1.Straighten the paperclip out. sharpen one end to a point. 3. Then bend it on the point end to a 90 dr turn. In doing that don't make it to big. so it allow to pass through the neck of the case. You go down to the inside to the base with the pointed towards the outside of the case. 4. Move the point up and back around the base. You are feeling with the point to catch separation at about where the belt is on that case. You will feel the point on the paperclip catch then move up and down. that common with belted mag case. Two thing that will help stop the separation. Reset you sizing die to only bump the shoulder a couple of thousands back. or go to neck sizing die, only FL as needed. That will extend the brass life out to 10 to 15 loads. I own 6 belted mag rifles. You will need to learn to anneal too. Otherwise your case necks will split in about 5 to 6 firing of the case.

Recent Posts