Not so happy with the Accubonds

I see no reason how any living creature could live very long (doesn't have to be immediate) with a hole in both lungs. Mammals breath air, if they don't... they die. They utilize lungs to get oxygen to the brain, if they don't they die (brain damage). Let's review: If there are no longer any lungs… what happens??? It's that simple. I just don't see whitetails evolving gills that fast...

Expanding bullets are supposed to expand above ~1800 fps. If they don't = bullet's failure to perform. My sheep was shot through both lungs. He was on a wide open mountain side where he was easily observed. I think he would have died, but maybe an hour or longer after being double lunged. Had it had been a whitetail, bear, pig, or any other animal that lives in the woods and brush, he likely wouldn't have been recovered. Because the Nosler Accubond didn't expand and therefore didn't destroy enough lung tissue to cause the animal to expire quickly enough to be have been recovered, except this animal could be observed on the bare side of a mountain.

Whether it was your intention or not, it's seems like you just painted it black and white again.

That is why I don't understand why people believe in absolutes. One has stated (several times) that there are no absolutes but ABSOLUTLY believes what he believes?

Yep. I believe it b/c I was there. I believe what I SAW. For unkown reasons, the fluke I experienced did occur. It is a bit of a mystery. I stand by my previous (several times) posts.

You do bring up a valid point, that the bullet may have hit a bug. But the only thing b/w my muzzle and the hair on the deer was air. I've got several years of experience from hunting that same rock. It is a burned area. Grass/twigs were not an issue.

If the shoulder, which I didn't hit, or any part of the deer did cause the bullet to "rake" then again, that's not something that falls on the hunter.

I recently read another odd thing on another forum where a bowhunter stuck a doe that had no reaction whatsoever to the shot. She walked off. Only after more Does came around and acted strange, did the hunter realize he did hit her and she was about 40 yards from where he shot her, yet, no reaction at all to having an arrow go through both lungs. It reminded me of an old hunting video where a guy put an arrow right through the lungs of a spike buck that was feeding. The broadhead exited, but the entire arrow was visible on both sides of the kill zone. The buck slightly flinched, and then just stood there chewing his cud. About 25 seconds later, he fell over sideways and died. No reaction to being shot at all.

I see no reason how any living creature could live very long (doesn't have to be immediate) with a hole in both lungs. Mammals breath air, if they don't... they die. They utilize lungs to get oxygen to the brain, if they don't they die (brain damage). Let's review: If there are no longer any lungs… what happens??? It's that simple. I just don't see whitetails evolving gills that fast...

Well, I think the vast majority of us would agree, that's why we call the mysterious things that happen "flukes."

Let me ask you this, how is it that 2 individuals can be in the same car that crashes, both subjected to the same changes in velocity, both have airbags, the impact is symmetric and linear, yet one person dies, and the other walk away with bumps and bruises, and maybe a broken bone? The 2 individuals are both the same sex, and within 4 pounds of the same weight, and within 2 inches of the same height.

Only one of them wore seat belts.

Good one. You nailed it! :D

For the record, I'm pretty happy with Nosler's bullets all in all. I only have a problem with the ones that fail to expand... And that has really been a pretty rare event. Their ABs have all done me good so far, and I continue to use them for shots closer than 4-500 yd.

Last edited:
Good one. You nailed it! :D

For the record, I'm pretty happy with Nosler's bullets all in all. I only have a problem with the ones that fail to expand... And that has really been a pretty rare event. Their ABs have all done me good so far, and I continue to use them for shots closer than 4-500 yd.

+1. My thoughts exactly.

Ok guys let me try to defend myself a little. First, Derek M, you must be a sensitive, grouchy old fart. Your bullet experience is not much different than mine except I eventually recovered the deer. As far as proof, I miked the recovered bullet my son handed me and it was .277. I looked at the rack for a good while before I shot and am positive it is the same deer. I am also positive that the deer's lungs were not damaged severely because he would have died much sooner. The deer was bedded when I shot. I am sure the bullet did not hit anything vital. I participate in deer depredation hunts every year as well as guide hunters every fall. I shoot and see shot more deer in a week than you probably do in 5 years. In all my vast experience in the field, I have never seen anything like this happen. If it had not happened to me, I would be quick not to believe this story. I was just comparing my similar experience with some of the other hunting experiences. I do not know how the deer survived 11 days but he did. The deer was in such poor shape due to what appeared to be infection in the chest cavity,we did not save some of the meat. The bullet had to travel across the chest cavity, but can it miss the vital organs because the deer was laying down? This is the only logical explanation I can give.

Ok guys let me try to defend myself a little.
The bullet had to travel across the chest cavity, but can it miss the vital organs because the deer was laying down? This is the only logical explanation I can give.

From your description of the bullet it sounds like bullet performance was perfect, and that buck just didn't cooperate. The fact that the deer hit the dirt at the shot tells me the bullet likely expanded. The two animals I observed with no bullet expansion stayed on their feet and showed very little sign of having been hit. The sheep just reversed position 180 degrees and looked around trying to figure out what was up. The bear did start running at the shot but they typically hit the ground on any good hit. He was out on an open mountainside slide area so we were eventually able to get two more bullets into him while he was trying to decide which way to go.

Yes a very unusual story based on your description of the hit and the follow-up kill. That buck should have gone hoofs up. But like they say, "never say never" and "never say always"... unless you're willing to look silly afterwards.

I shoot accubonds exclusively in my .270WSM. I took a feral hog at 225 yards two weekends ago. The bullet expanded correctly, leaving a 2 inch exit wound. Muzzle velocity from 69gr of H1000 is around 3175fps and I guessimate the impact to be in the 2500fps neighborhood. This shot was not long buy some standards here but is long in most circles. The bullet performed exactly as designed. I have used the Barnes TSX in the past but it does not group as well as the accubond in my rifle and the TSX is really tough bullet that may not open well at slower velocities at long range. Nosler bullets have never done me wrong over the years. I have used the Ballistic Tip in slower rifles and they work well.

Ok guys let me try to defend myself a little. First, Derek M, you must be a sensitive, grouchy old fart. Your bullet experience is not much different than mine except I eventually recovered the deer. As far as proof, I miked the recovered bullet my son handed me and it was .277. I looked at the rack for a good while before I shot and am positive it is the same deer. I am also positive that the deer's lungs were not damaged severely because he would have died much sooner. The deer was bedded when I shot. I am sure the bullet did not hit anything vital. I participate in deer depredation hunts every year as well as guide hunters every fall. I shoot and see shot more deer in a week than you probably do in 5 years. In all my vast experience in the field, I have never seen anything like this happen. If it had not happened to me, I would be quick not to believe this story. I was just comparing my similar experience with some of the other hunting experiences. I do not know how the deer survived 11 days but he did. The deer was in such poor shape due to what appeared to be infection in the chest cavity,we did not save some of the meat. The bullet had to travel across the chest cavity, but can it miss the vital organs because the deer was laying down? This is the only logical explanation I can give.

BOYER!!! I WAS BEING TOTALLY SARCASTIC!! (you and I are in the same boat). I'm surprised you didn't pick up on that after you read (hopefully) my posts! Sorry you didn't get that.

My results from this past week of hunting out west. 180 grain Accubond our of a 300 weatherby mag at 3225 fps. I hit this doe at 312 yards. I also hit a buck at 425 with the same results. (This is the entrance hole and was the same result on the buck). Both quarterning away shots and went no more than 3 ft....to the ground.

Picture022-1.jpg

I am very happy happy with the accuracy and bullet performance.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.