Nosler m48 mountain carbon rifle

jones

Hey guys, I'm looking for a new rifle for elk hunting in Co. I came across this rifle and I've searched for reviews on it but I'm not finding much info on it. Does anyone have this rifle, or any nosler rifles. How do they shoot? Im mainly looking at the 300WM. From the description of it, it sounds like it should be a shooter. I'd appreciate any help thanks.
https://www.nosler.com/m48-mountain-carbon-rifle

Nosler makes great rifles, but the one issue you may run into with is the fact the mag boxes to run on the short side which may limit your ability to seat bullets where you'd like them to be.

For what it's worth, my brother had a M48 in 7RM that shot fantastic with Nosler factory ammo. It's first season of use accounted for 2 antelope (230 and 505 yards), and 2 bull elk (300 and 725 yards).

That's good to know. For the price I'd hope it would. That seems to be a problem with most factory rifles, can never set the bullet out far enough.
Sounds like a pretty good year.

I held one at the Nosler pro shop last week. Weighs about 6 pounds. Barrel is wrapped in carbon. It looks cool. $3000 though. You only live once.

I have a nosler long range in 33N. Very accurate rifle, puts 225ttsx into very small clusters. The 285eld also shot really well. I had a m48 in 26n as well, wasnt a big fan of the b&c stock, fat wrist for a sporter style stock and it put your hand in an awkward position.
The only downside to the nosler action is that the long actions are held to 3.4" mag length instead of the standard rem 3.6". And the action itself is loonnngggg. If you use a rail its not an issue, but any two piece base/rings will cause scope mounting issues with shorter scopes, a 3.5-10 nightforce shv wont fit between the rings on mine.

That's good to know thanks for the info. I agree the b&c stocks have a weird feel to them. I think on the mountain carbon it's a custom manners stock. That's weird on the action length. You would think they'd make the mag box longer if the action itself is that long. How smooth is the action? So chances are berger 215's might not work very well, speed wise at least.

I am at Nosler in bend, oregon, handling a mountain carbine, proof research brand carbon wrap barrel, that lightens barrel about one pound. Nosler makes the action M48. The action seems smooth to me. There is a long range version, it weighs more, but not in show room today.

Attachments

• IMG_20190423_1405173_rewind_kindlephoto-765838913.jpg
    IMG_20190423_1405173_rewind_kindlephoto-765838913.jpg
    607.5 KB · Views: 375
  • IMG_20190423_1406132_rewind_kindlephoto-765822294.jpg
    IMG_20190423_1406132_rewind_kindlephoto-765822294.jpg
    486.2 KB · Views: 379
  • IMG_20190423_1406350_rewind_kindlephoto-765574347.jpg
    IMG_20190423_1406350_rewind_kindlephoto-765574347.jpg
    668.4 KB · Views: 389
Last edited:
Cool thanks. It does look really nice. Im surprised there's not more reviews on it. I know it's new, but I haven't seen much talk about it.

My F Class rig came in at more than that,,, so it seems to be a fair price,,, and there are packages at a much higher price tag then that...

They look like a awesome rifles from what I can see,,, I only hope that my winter build comes in shy of those costs,,, I know that it won't. Ha

How does it balance? Did you notice if the trigger shoe was thin or fat? I know it's a timney trigger but I think some of them are diff widths. Sorry for the hundred questions. But there's no dealers close to me so I'll be buying it without seeing it first.

I was kinda shocked at the price at first till I got to really looking and adding everything up. The price of it isn't bad for what your getting, as long as it shoots.

I held the carbine. Well balanced. I didn't pay enough attention to the trigger. It seems more like a hunting implement than anything else and designed to be carried all day. I think it is function over beauty but nice enough in looks.

Recent Posts