Nosler M48 - 28 Nosler

Muddyboots

Anybody have any experience with this rifle? Workmanship? Warranty? This caliber? Barrel life expectancy? Nosler support experience? I had a 7RM that didn't like anything much over 162 grains; can I assume similar with same barrel twist in this rifle?

I shot one at range recently and really liked it so thinking this may be my way to get into longer range situations with this caliber.

My other option is I have an older Sendero 300WM that barrel is showing signs of wear (est 900 rounds through it) was thinking of rebuilding to 28 on this platform.

Appreciate any and all comments. I am too old to get bruised feelings so let it rip. ;-)
Thanks,
Muddy

Nosler failed with the design , I had one and you have to seat bullets very deep unless you want to shoot single shot due to the action length being too short. I think there is better options for a 28 nosler out there.

Mine shoot good with 160AB at 3350 fps.

Exactly what I was looking for in response. Also looking at a Browning X-Bolt LR in 28. Still doing homework. Appreciated the insight.
Muddy

The M48 uses a 3.4" magazine action. The 28 Nosler was designed for this. The SAAMI throat will allow 180s to be seated out to around 3.6". Even at that the throat is really shorter than it should be. Nosler is stuck in the middle of last century if you ask me. The 28 Nosler is a great case design but much better suited for a larger magazine box with a non SAAMI throat. I have never owned an Xbolt but have been told the mag box is 3.6" which would be a much better option between the two. I would look at the CA Ridgeline or the Fierce Fury.

My xbolt HC LR has a 3.6" mag and allows me to reach the lands with a coal of 3.580 with 175gr ablr. Shoots great!

I was thinking custom 28 Nosler but now after talking with Bartlein I'm really rethinking
the whole idea. Here's what he said take it for what you want?
profile_mask2.png

[email protected]
Mon, Oct 29, 9:19 AM (1 day ago)

to me
cleardot.gif

Hey Carl,
For the gain, i would keep it under an inch, something like a 1-8.5 to 1-8.0 or 1-8.75 to 1-8.0
I don't see a need to go any faster, Berger always rounds down to the next full twist rate.
The other thing I was going to cover is to be careful with loads. The 28 Nosler is a great hunting round, but
has a very short barrel life. Also the throat "can" become rough enough after 80 to 120 rounds that pressures
can jump a bunch, what was a safe load, can now be excessive, you'll need to keep an eye on it and keep
the barrel clean and free of carbon build up.
With normal hunting use, a few to confirm scope settings are good and then a few at game, it can last
a lifetime, but if this is something you want to shoot a lot---order a 6 pak of barrels.
cleardot.gif

The 28 Nosler is an awesome cartridge for sure but he has many great points. For me the 28 Nosler is too overbore. Only you can decide if it is worth it to you. I personally would look at doing a 7-300 or a custom throated 7 Rem Mag shooting 180s.

My idea was to set up for 195 Gr. Bergers right from the start.
That's why I was asking about a gain twist barrel? But since 5R GT barrels aren't
cheap and months to get I think I'll look harder at a 7MM RM set up on the same lines.

I have a 28 Nosler, M48 Nosler Long Range rifle. It is a $2500 rifle that is more accurate than anything I have including some customs. I was planning a build and had a parts list that looked a lot like this rifle but would cost $3500 when an email announcing the "New M48 Long Range" hit my email and I jumped on it. It has a Shilen barrel, Timney trigger and a Manners stock with a brake. The stainless custom action would not necessarily have been my 1st choice but it looks good, functions well, and shoots well, so what more could I ask? It is cerakoted. It is a factory semi custom that is built by the company that makes the ammo. The chamber is cut for the factory ammo and it is a turn key shooter. Price that out and see if a build is worth it.
If you want to get the absolute most out of the cartridge I agree you may want to build and go with a longer throat and load long, but I am not willing to pay a large premium for that.
My only complaint about all of this is that factory ammo is very difficult to find and expensive for what it is. The same rifle in a .300 Win Mag would be very interesting, but I hate belted magnums and the 28 bends the wind more.

I have a 28 Nosler, M48 Nosler Long Range rifle. It is a $2500 rifle that is more accurate than anything I have including some customs. I was planning a build and had a parts list that looked a lot like this rifle but would cost $3500 when an email announcing the "New M48 Long Range" hit my email and I jumped on it. It has a Shilen barrel, Timney trigger and a Manners stock with a brake. The stainless custom action would not necessarily have been my 1st choice but it looks good, functions well, and shoots well, so what more could I ask? It is cerakoted. It is a factory semi custom that is built by the company that makes the ammo. The chamber is cut for the factory ammo and it is a turn key shooter. Price that out and see if a build is worth it.
If you want to get the absolute most out of the cartridge I agree you may want to build and go with a longer throat and load long, but I am not willing to pay a large premium for that.
My only complaint about all of this is that factory ammo is very difficult to find and expensive for what it is. The same rifle in a .300 Win Mag would be very interesting, but I hate belted magnums and the 28 bends the wind more.
Why the hate on belted cartridges ?

i have 2 M48 liberty's, one in 280AI and one in 300wm. I don't reload or know the details like you guys do but I can attest that both are absolute shooters. The workmanship of the rifles seem to be really good and I'm tickled with them.

I cut my teeth reloading them and prefer to not have to deal with it when there are so may other options.

I did notice Seekins is making the Havak in 28 Nosler with AICS mags for a longer magazine factory option.

Last edited: