NOSLER ACCUBONDS at 1000 yards on goats.

I have used the 200 gr. accubond for nearly a year now in my 300 RUM, 92.0 gr. RL-25, have also had good performance from H1000. I shot a bear at 643 yards, dropped like he was hit by lighting. Bullet performance was impressive, Jeff Huber at Nightforce used the same load in a rifle I built him to anchor an elk at over 600 yards and his partner used the same rifle to take an elk at just over 500 yards, both 1 shot kills. My only regret with the accubond line is that they dont make a .338 VLD version weighing in at 275 to 300 gr for my 338 Edge. i would recommend the 200 gr accubond in a MAG caliber for just about anything.

Shawn C.

I have been playing with an extreme range rifle I built for myself chambered for the 338 Kahn. I have been getting 3000-3050 fps with very comfortable loads using the 300 gr ULD from Wildcat Bullets and I getting the neck tickness tuned perfectly for this rifle.

What is your 338 Edge? What case is used and what performacne levels are you getting. The big 338's are very impressive at extreme range.

Any inforamtion on your big 338 would be very interesting reading!

Thanks,

Good Shooting!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

This is real good info you guys ! Another question are you finding much difference in the rate off bullet drop in the 200 gr accubond compare to the 180 gr or even the 175 gr smk. The little bit of testing that I did did not show a great deal of difference . If you were shooting something in the size of a elk it looked to me like you could almost use the same drop chart for all these bullets . I only tested out to 500 yards would anyone have more info on 500 plus yards ? If anyone has a drop chart I would be very interested in comparing it to mine . Thanks

JDJones375,
OK, getting back to the performance of the Accubonds, in the space of 8 days I have seen a doe antelope taken at 949 yards and a 360 class bull elk taken at 25 yards with the Accubond bullets. Both bullets caused major damage and opened a gaping wound channel. The mushroom looked awesome and they retained a high percentage of weight. I would have to say that we finally have a bullet that can handle sizzling velocities of magnums at close range on big animals, and expand reliably on smaller game at extreme range. Nosler is back on top!

"............. 949 YARDs FROM A .300 WIN MAG. THE BULLET WAS THE 180 GRAIN ACCUBOND. IT PUT A TENNIS-BALL SIZED HOLE THROUGH THE SHOULDER BLADE ON ONE SHOT, AND COMPLETELY REMOVED THE HIP JOINT ON ANOTHER SHOT!......."

So let me get this straight. The bullet performance was so good that you had to hit a doe sized speed goat TWICE to put it down?

Hoodcounty,
I should not even dignify your pessimistic post with a response, but I'm going to anyway because I need to defend the shooter in this case because it was not me. I was videoing the hunt for proof of distance while my hunting partner was shooting. His first shot would not have killed the doe immediately because, as I said, it was in the hip joint. So were we to give up at that point and hope she died so that we could say it was a one shot kill? I don't think so. Especially not while the video was rolling. Do you know how many people would have got upset knowing that we let a wounded animal lie? Keep in mind that the majority of people that will watch this video are already questioning the ethics of doing what 90% of the people on this forum probably do routinely. A second shot was necessary to harvest this doe, and I was merely stating that both hits showed remarkable damage for the said range. I don't care if you hit her with a 50 bmg at that range, a non-lethal shot is a non-lethal shot regardless of the bullet or caliber involved.
Man, that was a waste of internet ink. I could have been loading bullets instead of answering that post!

[ 09-21-2004: Message edited by: goodgrouper ]

I realize we are all in this together but one must be careful what one posts on the "net"

exactly why TV might be questionable or not a good idea without careful editing....

anywho.. we are going on a speedgoat hunt in few days...
quite a few members from here actually.. I know I am loading some accubonds for my buddy because we had great results from them last year... so we'll see how they perform this year...

I will echo what Shawn C. said. I saw 2 elk cows get shot with 300 Weatherby rifles last year. Both were shooting 200 grain Accubond bullets with 88 grains of Retumbo doin the pushin. The smaller cow was shot at 80 yards, and the bigger one at 35 yards. Both were one shot kills, and the bullets performed flawlessly. That should cover the Accubonds for short range work on heavy shouldered animals. The big cow got hit square in the shoulder and then proceeded to break the back side shoulder. The damage was impressive.

One other thing I would like to mention about the Accubond is an experience I had with them in a very worn barrel. I have a .300 win mag that has roughly 1300 rounds down it. All were 180 ballistic tips. This gun routinely shot 1/4" groups at 100 yards with that bullet the majority of it's life, but when I got around 1100, the groups opened up to about 7/8". I went 2 years without shooting another cloverleaf. I was just about to place an order for a new barrel when I tried the 180 Accubond. As brian b stated in an earlier post, the Accubond seemed to be about .020" longer and that must have made the difference because now it's back down to 1/4"! I'm so happy!
grin.gif
It also likes the exact same load and shoots the same point of impact. Fiftydriver has said in a previous post that he was replacing all his loads that worked with bt's to ab's. Right on! I think I'll do the same!

OK .. could just be me or possibly the fact I have had only one cup of coffee..

but did you type a 7/8" group at 1100 yards??

Goodgrouper,

I would not rebarrel your rifle yet if your still getting your fine accuracy. All that is generally needed is to lengthen your loads every once in a while to chase the lands if you will.

You may need to readjust your powder charge to keep your velocity close to original which it will continue to fall as your throat erodes to a larger diameter but youcan stave off a new barrel for quite a while this way.

Wait a minute, I am a gunsmith, better send that rifle off today for a rebarreling job!!
grin.gif

Course, with 1300 roudns down the pipe, I would say your throat is pretty much burnt. Imagine what it would do with a fresh new tight throated barrel!

Just kidding, shoot her till she won't shoot any more!

Good Shooting!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.