Nosler Accubond

Great bullet.. The regular Accubond is probably better out to 400 yards because of a thicker jacket, but then the long range version is better. Only bullet I trust when hunting Africa, because losing an animal there is expensive...
I changed up to a 338WM with 200gr AB for Africa. I also use BT too. If I come across BT or AB on sale I get a box or 2 and store them.

Last edited:
This is recovered 180 grain AB bullets from four different bull elk i shot with a 300 WSM out to 400 plus yards. 60-70% retention rate. I really like the Nosler AB but availability has forced me to start looking for other options.
My very few recovered 160gr ABs from whitetails at 50 to 250 yards out of my 280AI show 60-70% weight retention as well. Typically had animal grazing toward me head down. Often shot through 3' of animal. Excellent bullet!

200gr accubonds from a 30 nosler elk 260yards shot twice in the shoulder both pass through

Bison same gun and round 80 yards one pass through, one didn't exit but also didn't recover

Moose 160gr 7mm accubonds 2 lung pass through 110yards

I pretty much only hunt with accubonds now
I just loaded up some 150 gr for my 7 STW and some 200 gr for my 300 RUM. I haven't had a chance to try them out yet because of weather conditions. But it's nice to hear that you guys are getting some good results from them. Getting more excited all the time.

After talking to reps from both Nosler and Barnes, I prefer the long range versions for taking game animals beyond 400 yds. They are designed to expand more readily at a couple of hundred feet per second lower than than the std bullets. I'm told that some of the long range bullets made by Nosler and barnes will expand reliably below 1500 FPS whereas the std bullets need 1800 FPS.

I have killed plenty of elk with .277 140 grain anc .308 180 grain accubonds .
270 win and 300 ultra mag. Both did just fine and killed them plenty dead. I think the 270 140 does better as lower velocities.
Wouldn't hesitate to launch one into the ribs of a big bull at any reasonable distance,
This could have been my post, save the 'plenty of elk' 🤣 but 140s in the 270 have been great on deer. Furtherest was a cow elk at 639, 180 out of a 300 RUM and she just stood there as the others moved on. Couldn't figure it out, hiked down and up over there and found her 10 yards away from the pool of blood. Bullet on the opposite side hide, double lung and she seemed to just stand there stunned until she expired and stumbled away. Crazy. They seem to work well, but as others have said, moved on due to availability