Nosler 30..

FFX

Can a Nosler .30 be shot from a 30:06 rifle??...If not what kind of rifle ?/ Or is this another Weatherby operation..

1) No, the .30 Nosler can NOT be shot from a .30-06 rifle. The .30 Nosler is based off of the Remington Ultra Mag case, which is much larger than the .30-06 Springfield. They are in no way compatible with each other, other than using the same diameter (.308) projectiles.

2) What kind of rifle? You can build a .30 Nosler from any rifle that was previously a magnum or Remington Ultra Magnum cartridge. The Rem Ultra Mag action would be the best (and easiest) option.

2) This is a Nosler design, NOT a Weatherby design... That's why it's called the .30 Nosler.

You guys and your love of "power".... Truly an American Value..the need for more !! I love big cartridges, but not off the bench, all those old football shoulder hits come back to haunt me. Since they all, the big .30's shoot the same basic bullet the velocity difference of course comes from the casing size. Other than needing it at extreme yardages 1000+++ what in the hunting world do you need all this power for, I'm getting the impression elk/moose/bear/goat/sheep/caribou out west and up north are wearing Kevlar vests !! I honestly can't see everything that y'all go through for a hundred or two hundred fps. I hardly think any animals vitals will notice the missing velocity under a 1000 yards. So, it comes down to you do it because you just got to ! I can't wait to see what your going to come up with next unless the 30 Nosler / RUM / 30-378 are pushing the edge for the .308 diameter bullet...maybe we'll see a 3800 fps 180/200 bullet, maybe 4000 someday !

Gentleman,,Thanks for the reply..I end up suffering from "caliber envy" when my more experienced friends show up at our hunts claiming their gun choice is best..Shooting 30:06 with Hornady ELD-X 200 grain..been getting the job done..

Gentleman,,Thanks for the reply..I end up suffering from "caliber envy" when my more experienced friends show up at our hunts claiming their gun choice is best..Shooting 30:06 with Hornady ELD-X 200 grain..been getting the job done..
Your 30-06 will get the job done for the next century or so.

Hi my name is Fred and I am a caliber and chambering addict (that's a joke based on 12 step programs). I am always trying something new. However the idea that one rifle is "better" than another because of the chambering is nonsense. The only thing that can be "better" between two hunters and their rifles is the one who is more humble and a better shot which sounds like you.

Don't let someone's insecurities get to you. No human is defined by what rifle he shoots.

I own a 30-06 I love, this year I made the move to build a 30 Nosler for my LR rig and I can tell you it is an impressive shooter. Does it make the 30-06 obsolete, no... I have now modified my '06 to shoot 165 pills fast and use my 30 Nos to shoot 215 bergers... well, fast as well.

My 30-06 is effective to about 600 yards, my 30 well out to about 1400 if needed, that is the only difference but I still dont regret the decision.

You guys and your love of "power".... Truly an American Value..the need for more !! I love big cartridges, but not off the bench, all those old football shoulder hits come back to haunt me. Since they all, the big .30's shoot the same basic bullet the velocity difference of course comes from the casing size. Other than needing it at extreme yardages 1000+++ what in the hunting world do you need all this power for, I'm getting the impression elk/moose/bear/goat/sheep/caribou out west and up north are wearing Kevlar vests !! I honestly can't see everything that y'all go through for a hundred or two hundred fps. I hardly think any animals vitals will notice the missing velocity under a 1000 yards. So, it comes down to you do it because you just got to ! I can't wait to see what your going to come up with next unless the 30 Nosler / RUM / 30-378 are pushing the edge for the .308 diameter bullet...maybe we'll see a 3800 fps 180/200 bullet, maybe 4000 someday !

Without the American need for bigger, better, more powerful, faster, more torque, etc... The rest of the world wouldn't have anything. :cool:

Thanks to all that replied...Most articles I read and Hunting shows on TV seem to agree that very long range shots require an expert shooter..Risk of wounding an animal and not finding it..I do several hunts per year taking wounded Vets out after elk,deer and sometimes feral hogs..On a recent hunt we had a young man with two tours down the desert...He spent his time as a sniper...I am USMC vet...Chopper pilot,so not a lot of time spent with the M-14,,..Thinking my skills with a long gun were pretty good...Wrong...I was extremely impressed with his knowledge and specific procedures when shooting..He can take the risk of a 500 plus yard shot..I will stay in the 250-300 yard max neighborhood..Respect for the sport...

another Weatherby operation..
like a lobotomy?? I'm sorry, Roy has his disciples, but I'm not one...

for deer and such an '06 is fine for most uses... Same for a 270, 7rem, etc... I have a number of mag. rifles, among them three rums, a 7stw, a 300win... should I go on?
I also have a 6.5 creed, a 270, a 30-06, and a 35 whelen. I treat my rifles like golf clubs or carpenters tools... I use the correct utility for the job so I don't end up looking like a tool doing the job.

Without the American need for bigger, better, more powerful, faster, more torque, etc... The rest of the world wouldn't have anything. :cool:
yup... ten years ago I thought a 200ish hp Mustang was fast... Now I have a CamaroSS with a bit over 400hp and it's getting boring... been there on Dodge trucks too...

like a lobotomy?? I'm sorry, Roy has his disciples, but I'm not one...

The constantly almost bankrupt or raided for profit Big Corporate America Remington has it's disciples but I'm not one... (it's a joke)

There is nothing inherently wrong with any Weatherby, as there in nothing inherently wrong with any maker or the products. Individual items or sometimes a model will have issues. The market will sort it out.

Disparaging a brand is a dividing endeavor. At a time when all firearms and hunting enthusiasts need to stick together.

Go back to discussing the need or merits of the 30 Nosler over the OP 30-06.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.