30 Nosler

30 nosler is just a step over the WinMag. Not too cutting or leading edge but I do like it doesn't have a belt. A side from that nosler's marketing ****es me off a tad, using neutered loads of other chambering to compare to their's. I get it though they're trying to sell a product but the need to take a step back into reality.

I am buying the hype and am building a new rig based on the 30 Nosler, being barrelled as we speak. I will post back once I get a chance to run it through its paces. I will admit most of my buddy's are shooting 7MM variants which made me want something different, that will give me a mental edge:)

Really, the idea of no belt and headspacing on the shoulder is the main feature I like about the 30 Nosler. I'm not a ultra high velocity type any way. I have been threatening to get into handloading for the past 20+ years and just have never done it. I care more about the accuracy of a load and using the best bullet for the job than trying to squeeze out the highest velocity I can any way. I'm an old fart that just likes hunting and spending time in beautiful country with good friends and having fun. Not that I do not hunt very hard but the "hunt" comes first not killing. I have seen enough death. I would rather spend a week being schooled by a wise old Bull or Buck than just have one fall in my lap. I live for the "hunt" and to learn more each time I go. I do not feel cheated if I go home empty handed if I have hunted hard and passed on animals waiting on the "one". I felt that when I was young but now I love seeing the animals and only want mature old farts like me of the animal world. Growing up in southern Arkansas there were several giant Whitetail bucks I hunted for years that I know died of old age that I only saw a few times and never got a shot at. Most were almost totally nocturnal when hunting seasons came around. They taught me so much that made hunting other less "woods master" deer easier. I'm much older and wiser now and I have tried to pass on my knowledge to my one grandson that has taken up the hunting mantel when I can get him to slow down. Was I ever that impatient?:rolleyes: Yes, I know I was. It will take time and patients to get him to stop long enough to see the signs, listen to the woods, and let nature work for him rather than trying to make mother nature bend to his will. I know he listens to me because I hear back from others who tell me how he has discovered things and then excitedly shared what he has discovered (giving me credit for putting him on the path of discovery). We all needed mentors. One of the things I learned from some of my mentors is not to chase the magnum craze and the gadget craze. There are things that can make hunting better, easier, and more productive but never lose site of the fact it is hunting so take the time to enjoy mother nature to its fullest and don't get wrapped up in tech, gadgets, and competing with others. The animal will not know the difference between being killed by a .308 Winchester, .30-06, .300 Win. Mag., 30 Nosler, or a .300 Remington Ultra Mag.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.