Nosler 28

Travis1971

Hello, I'm considering having a Remington 700 re-barreled into a nosler 28. I have not bought the donor gun yet, so from a smiths point of view what size action/caliber rifle would be the easiest to start with IE a 700 chamber in a 7mm mag, or a 300 rum ect. I don't know enough about how wide the rails need to be to feed right , bolt face ect or what will take the least amount of work. I know it can "fit in a standard long action" but is that the best place to start? Thank you

Easiest. By a 7mm RM run the reamer in and perhaps a little feed lip fixup.

Best if using R700, any RUM action and a new barrel.

Hardest, non-magnum long action, new bolt, extractor, etc...

what about a savage action from a 375 ruger and just re-barrel? would that work?
I would say, more then likely. There are minor dimensional differences so it would at a minimum be very close.

Someone familiar with Savage magnum bolt faces would be able to confirm if the same bolt face is used for RUM/300WM/375 RUGER. If it is then should be a diddle.

Any long action centerfeed Savage action would work fine with a magnum bolt head.

Savage action that started as a 375 Ruger would be a large shank. It's a good choice if you want the peace of mind from having the large shank.

It's been widely accepted that the small shank actions handle the RUM sized rounds without incident.

I've got a Savage 28 Nosler build in the works. Small shank.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.