28 nosler problems

New to the forum and used the following to reply to a post earlier so figured I would start my own thread hoping to get some more info for myself and problems. I have a fierce in 28 nosler that I'm getting ejector marks on my Peterson brass. My initial thought was I was over pressure due to the Peterson brass so worked back up a charge test and ejector marks showed up on all charge weights… weird so I started inspecting the ejectors and noticed they felt rough or the springs were hanging up so I called them and sent it back they got it done and sent it back in one week awesome I thought tell I inspected the bolt and found out one of the ejectors doesn't clear the boltface.

Plunger ejectors must go flush with the bolt face when compressed. You might have brass shavings in the hole limiting how far the ejector can travel. Or, it may be too long or the clearance for the pin isn't 'right'. Check for brass shavings, first.

3DCCB9FC-63D2-4420-97FA-80B90C959604.jpeg
Thanks for the reply. There was brass inside the plungers before I sent it back. I got it back from them and I'm pretty sure they jus replaced the springs and plungers because now one is too long or the hole in the bolt isn't drilled deep enough and won't clear the boltface! Picture is without springs installed. I'm wondering if something else is also wrong because it still shows ejector marks with them removed! Any ideas would be appreciated

Ya I could cut down the ejector myself but I think I'll let them do it. I need to figure out why the brass is slamming back into the bolt face so hard and causing ejector marks on the brass even with them removed. I have a 6-284 that I removed the ejector so I don't flip the brass into oblivion but I know the ejectors aren't the only problem on this gun now with them removed

It'd be nice to know neck diameter of the chamber so you could compare neck dia. of your loaded rounds. Not enough clearance can raise pressures. Sorry you're having troubles. Hopefully, Fierce will make it right.

I'm sure they'll make it right they've been awesome to deal with so far. Is there anyway I can measure the neck diameter of the chamber myself? Fired brass necks measures .320 sized loaded rounds measure .318

When brass is fired it expands to meet the chamber, then it contracts very slightly. The best way to measure neck dia. of a chamber is to mic the reamer, but you don't have that. So, without reamer in hand (many times neck dia. is marked on the reamer), is to make a chamber casting and measure that. When the brass contracts after firing it's usually 1/2 -1 thou or so, depending on many factors , like who made it. If you only have .0025" clearance, that's tight. On a hunting round .003-004 seems to work best, especially a magnum. The neck on my .28 Nosler reamer measures .323. It's a SAAMI spec and made by Dave Manson. The tight neck may be where your pressure and ejector marks are coming from. Hard to say with certainty, without having rifle in hand. Hopefully, Fierce will fix all for ya'. Having to send back twice isn't good. I know, all are busy/short handed.

The worst part is deer opens next Sunday and I was hoping to have this rifle ready by then but I guess not🤦‍♂️ hopefully I'll have it ready to go by elk season at the end of the month!

I may have missed it but how far are you bumping your shoulders back? You say the brass is slamming back into the boltface. Fierce should be able to tell you your chamber neck dia, shortgrass is correct. 002 is tight i would turn a .002-.003 off a few of your necks and give that a try.

If you dont have a way to turn a few necks send them to me and ill do it for you on my K@M

I was looking at the k&m last night. I have a friend that has one so I'll jus give them to him and have him do a few but thanks for the offer. I'm bumping the shoulders back .002 so I'm pretty sure I'm good there not causing any false headspace problems. One very interesting thing I found out last night was I'm unable to insert a bullet into a fired peace of nosler brass and real tight on a peace of Peterson brass…… so I assume I'm forced to turning necks?