Non-Magnum Primers for Magnums

So I finally was able to get out and start some load development. Of course my chronograph kicked the bucket after the second shot. The rifle shot well around 80 gr of H1000 with the 210's. It really opened up trying to get into the higher nodes. I don't know how much of a role the primer played there but the results were bad enough I wouldn't even try to go there again. I suspect I will be able to get away with a 210 and h1000 around 80 gr which got me right at 3000 fps with a 190 gr lrx. Weather was 54 degrees at 5500 feet. I'll be doing 1 more ladder test with powder, then see what groups I shoot at distance.

Suck it up and buy some mag primers off GB. I paid $280 for 2000 CCI 250's not long ago. It's chump change given what I've spent on a couple of my custom rifles...

It's not that I can't afford it, it's the principal of the matter.
Yup, principles are great till a 350 class Elk walks away because you got a delayed ignition or failure to fire because you are using too light a primer for the powder load. Try some Fed 215 mag primers and I bet your group sizes shrink noticeably, particularly as you approach max weight/velocity. You only have to find 100 to be able to try it.

Last edited:
Long story short all I have right now is Fed210's. I have a 300 PRC on the way. I will be using h1000 but have limited supplies, so I don't want to waste supplies trying things out. I know it will "work" but don't want to waste powder on sub par performance. The goal is to confirm a solid load and get 50-80 loaded for hunting for the for seeable future. The 210's work great on my 6.5 PRC but that's with 59 gr not the 80+ I'll be using in my 300 PRC. What's your experience using large rifle primers in a magnum round?
This is what you originally asked. If you didn't intend to take the advice from those of us that have tried this, a lot, why bother asking in the first place. Might as well just use tthe 210s and see how she goes. You have already said you are getting substandard performance from this combination, so your experience matches the advice. Not trying to be difficult but I get tired of spending time trying to help guys that then just ignore the information.

I did take the advice. I gave it a try as suggested by some of the guys. Obviously using the correct primer is preferred. I simply posted my results trying the 210's. Thanks for the advice "buy magnum primers".

Your Fed 210 primers are the hottest of Large Rifle Primers. So on a good start there. Most of my case only hold about 75grs., and I use the Fed 210 primers. I also use H4350 powders or on that line. Most of my barrels are 26" long too, with the H4350 being a little faster too it must be getting the job done for me.
Can you provide the data of the primers and their respective "hotness" of their flame. I like to use a variety of primers and I am curious, especially with lower environmental temperatures. Thank you.

I always check my case when I am placing the case into the press to put a bullet into the case. I make sure I have enough light to clearly see that. The other is I move my powder case into another case tray. That way I don't try and double load with powder. Most of my case I couldn't over load, because they are very full to start with or the powder would spill out all over the place.
In the past I used a small flashlight, but with my new set-up I have very ample lighting and recently got some direct mount press lighting. Really good stuff.

Me I never use mag primers, I find that the burn is more even and consistant and prevents "Bridging" even in RUMs, I have a post on here that explains my findings and reasoning I might look for it. Fifty Driver has some of the same views and findings.

Dean
Can you send the links?

The question is probably answered by now but I've used 210's in a win mag with H1000 and it worked fine in the summer but I would get low velocities and high SD in the wintertime. It shot great in the summer but I did it mostly to satisfy curiosity. Moral of the story is they'll work but dont trust them when the going gets sub 20 degrees. Now I even use 215's in my 30-06 loads, mainly because 215's are the only primers I have left 😆 but hey, it works.

Something you could do to test them is load up 10 rounds and put them in the freezer for long enough they get fully frozen, and pull them out and shoot them through a chrono to see if they're getting the expected velocity for that temp.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.