Non Lead Bullets

KSB209

Well I am stuck here in CA and now we are 100% lead free in the state. I am having trouble getting good groups with Hornady's non lead bullet in various weights for my custom'ish 300wm (24" barrel with 1:10.5 twist). What would you all recommend I try instead? I don't reload and at $50'ish a box I don't want to spend a fortune trying every bullet combo out there but if I must I will. Just want some direction on factory ammo and what ahs been good and accurate for you guys.

Couple ways to go about it. You could do a one and done and send it off to get custom loads from hammer Bullets. They come back with 100 rounds of ammo. I juts got my 300 win mag back and it's awsome. It is $800 ish but it was worth it for me.
Another option I've done is Suprior ammo in SC. I've had him load me hammer Bullets for a .358 Norma mag. They shot great. I've only found two non lead Bullets worth a dam and that is cutting edge and hammer. With hammer being a better choice when speeds drop.
You may also try custom reloads of Dallas. He may be able to help. Again they are expensive that's why I always recommend hammers. Doesn't seem to matter on seating depth. And all powder charges I've tried have been sub .75" in every caliber so far.

Ive had good luck with both 175 LRX and 200 gr ttsx over H4831SC in my 300 WM. Also for good cheap ammo look at federal powershok copper. Premium ammo federal trophy copper.

I've had good luck with the Barnes Vort-TX in the 300 WSM. The 165gr load shot better than the 150gr in the gun I was working with.

Thanks for the replies. I guess I need to test a few other brands and if they don't work well I will bite the bullet and try some custom loads. I have heard good things about the Hammer products

A buddy's Vanguard in 300 Win likes the Barnes Vortex LR 190gr ammo that Barnes makes.

idcwby

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.