Need help with non-lead solid copper bullets

ssssnake529

I am a Berger cultist. Pretty much shoot only Bergers (after trying most everything else.)

However, my wife and kids refuse to eat meat shot with lead bullets.

So, I'm switching to solid copper bullets for hunting.

I shoot 300 Win Mag for elk, and 6.5 Creedmoore for deer. Currently using Berger's 230 grain high BC 30 caliber bullet and Berger's 140 grain high BC elite hunter for the 6.5.

I know very little about copper solid bullets.

So far, lots of Googling and reading has led me to the following companies:

Hammer
Cutting Edge
Flatline (Warner Tool)
Barnes

Accuracy is important to me. I'm used to 1/2 or less MOA when shooting my Bergers.
I've also been spoiled by Berger's high BC bullets, so a good ballistics coefficient is important as well.

Anyone have some recommendations/comparisons based on actual use of these (or other) bullets?

Thanks in advance.

Because of the deep air cavity behind the tip of most one piece bullets like Nosler E-tip, Hornady GMX or Barnes bullets. These bullets are long for weight. A 30 150 gr. Barnes TSX is about .050 longer than a 30 cal. 180 gr.

Check the length of the 30 cal. 180 gr. E-Tip, GMX or Barnes TSX to your Burger bullet. Barnes also makes a 30 cal. 200 Gr. TSX you may want to check also for your Elk load.

Hornady lists a 6.5 120 Gr. GMX Mono Bullet you may want to consider for deer.
Good Luck in quickly finding a usable bullets and loads to meet your need. LT

I can only recommend steering clear of the Nosler mono bullets, based on the results I've seen on game I can't recommend them to anyone. I'm definitely not anti Nosler, I've had great success with their other bullets.

Sorry to hear it when people buy into the lead BS, but it is what it is, I recommend Hammer bullets, they make exceptional bullets, they live in reality on their BC's and twist rates, excellent guys.
I like them enough to choose them even though I have zero worry about lead in my meat, more lead in our animals comes from the grass they eat than a bullet.

300 win mag Barnes 175gr lrx
Powder alliant RL 26 80gr with a 25 in barrel .100 of lands. I have dropped 3 elk and 2 mule deer since switching. None went more 75 ft.
Remember all copper bollits usually you use less grain bullet and start at. 040 off lands I am already .100 off and accuracy turned on.

I've used the Hammer's in a few rifles. Know your twist, magazine length, whether you're single loading or not, point and shoot, that's about it. Pretty easy to find a good load.
It took me a bit to come around to the idea of mono-metals. Hammer's obsession with material hardness, and hollow point size brought me around.
Steve's the only bullet make I know of offering refunds!

Another vote for Hammer. They're easy to tune and should easily hit your 1/2 MOA expectation. The BCs are realistic and they've got different styles to suit most hunting needs. They shoot so well that I actually use their heavy 338 Hammer Hunters as a target bullet in my 338/408 improved pistol.

morning, the original barnes bullets had a problem expansion and accuracy.
the bullets made now days, accuracy and expansion have greatly
improved, plus due to the bullet weight, compared to lead bullets.
a person can push these bullets very hard.
I personally have great confidence in barnes bullets. I use barnes bullets
in my 2-AR 223, 223AI, 6mmAI, 257wbee, 7mmwbee, and 340wbee.
I also use Lapua bullets for varmint hunting. this is me. GBOT TUM

Run the Barnes. Got a 338lapua that's half moa to 900 yards. Only bullets I use in my mine and customers guns. Also try ramshot powders very temp stable. Allian t too unstable especially where I live. On game preformence is as if not more important to me then high b c or extreme accuracy. I'll take a consistent moa hunting bullet over a target bullet that fails

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.