Need help with non-lead solid copper bullets

Because of the deep air cavity behind the tip of most one piece bullets like Nosler E-tip, Hornady GMX or Barnes bullets. These bullets are long for weight. A 30 150 gr. Barnes TSX is about .050 longer than a 30 cal. 180 gr.

Check the length of the 30 cal. 180 gr. E-Tip, GMX or Barnes TSX to your Burger bullet. Barnes also makes a 30 cal. 200 Gr. TSX you may want to check also for your Elk load.

Hornady lists a 6.5 120 Gr. GMX Mono Bullet you may want to consider for deer.
Good Luck in quickly finding a usable bullets and loads to meet your need. LT
I been using Barnes for years. I do not like Nosler green Tip's and have not tried Hornady GMX on game as yet. Barnes tells you to use a lighter weight bullet than would use with lead. I like TTSX's and they are very accurate with all the rifles I use.

For the record, I pm'd and told you why I wanted to talk and it had nothing to do with attacking!
Yes you wanted me to prove we are on the same side.

Do I need to prove something to you to be respected?

morning, the range I visit, last year escavated the dirt behind the
range targets to remove the bullets in the mounds. 2 reasons,
1 remove the spent bullets. 2 collect the metals of the bullets and
sell on the commercial market.

there r states in this country and the fed. gov. that do require certain metals of shot and bullets for the environment. for decades we have used lead shot and
bullets. due to the technology of ammunition companies we as shooters
have a vast amount of different metal bullets and shot we can use to hunt.
I for years have shot doves, quail, and phaseants.(sp) with lead shot.
some people broke teeth, dentures and braces while eating lead shot and
the new steel shot. in the fowl we collected. now days in certain states a hunter has
to shoot certain shot and bullets for certain game. times change. laws change.
WE WILL KEEP SHOOTING AND HUNTING. THIS IS AMERICA. WE
R VERY LUCKY TO B BORN FREE. GBOT TUM

Not all solids are copper, E-Tip is gilding metal. Nosler recommends slower speeds for the E-Tip in every package. Some of the issues that have been experienced is Copper fouling, especially over 3000 fps. You will want to consider some of the new powders that help mitigate this problem. RL 23, RL26, IMR 7977 and several others that have components to help prevent the build up. These are also not so temperature sensitive.

I live in California, by marriage not by choice, although I did choose to get married. I will stay away from the politics of the condor, that's a sore subject. I reload for two rifles in .270 win. One is a Weatherby with a 24" barrel and the other is a Savage with 20" barrel. Having experimented with many bullets I have found the Barnes 140gr TSX to be the most accurate in these rifles. The best load for the Weatherby is the 140gr TSX in front of 61.6gr of H4831sc, MV 3100+. The Savage likes the 140gr TSX in front of 55.2gr of RL17, MV 3060+. Both rifles shoot under ½ MOA. When I am doing load development with other bullets, including lead, I use the Barnes as a reference. When I have shot what I think is a good group with a new load I will follow with two TSX's for comparison. So far nothing can match them. With monolithic bullets good terminal performance comes down to the bullet having enough energy on impact and how much resistance the bullet meets to initiate good expansion. The less resistance met the more energy required. Consistent precision and accuracy allow for better shot placement. On a recent hunting trip to Oklahoma I harvested a doe under challenging conditions. Using my Weatherby with its pet TSX load I was able shoot, just less than 100 yards, through a very small opening in the brush. She was DRT. Judging by the exit wound the bullet achieved max expansion. See the photo below.
PB220105.JPG

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.