Non inline muzzleloader

TX mountain hunter

I'm looking to buy a non inline muzzleloader. What should I expect for accuracy and what are some recommendations for the most accurate models?
I'm an avid reloaded but about as new to any type of muzzleloading as you can get. Any and all comments are appreciated.

Look for an older 80s, or 90's Lyman Great Plains Rifle.

They're as good as you can get without building a custom.

They will shoot tighter than you can hold with open sights.

Thank you both for the tips. Working in the oilfield things have been a bit of a roller coaster so I apologize for the delayed reply. Just found out I did successfully draw the muzzleloader tag. Looking into seriously picking one up soon. Those were some good looking ones on the website, I'm not sure about a kit or spending more than a couple hundred bucks given the current economic conditions. Appreciate the help, but one more questions:

would you recommend a 50 or 54 or larger for mule deer?

before jumping in are there any other significant costs (> $100) I should expect?

supplies such as powder,caps, balls, patches, powder measure, powder horn/flask, cleaning supplies can run up the bill but if you are smart enough to ask for help finding what exactly you need, vs what what the store salesman says you need, you can save a ton.

I have this 50cal available. I recently refinished it, updated the sights to something a lot more sturdy and reliable than the factory sights. Bedded stock. About as clean as you could ask for.
100-1218.jpg

I have this 50cal available. I recently refinished it, updated the sights to something a lot more sturdy and reliable than the factory sights. Bedded stock. About as clean as you could ask for.
100-1218.jpg
Thanks again for the info. I was under the impression only kits were available previously. Any chance you have time for a call? Will send you a PM with the number.

Get a couple of speed loader tubes. If you need a follow up shot the pre-measured powder charge will speed things up alot. Load work up can be a long process just like centerfire. My .50 cal flintlock likes a charge of 70 grains of FFF as a main charge with a .015 patch.

Also get the accessory kit with patch worm and ball puller. Eventually cleaning it will get a patch stuck and at some point a ball will get seated without a powder charge.

Best cleaning solvent I ever used was a bucket of hot water and tide detergent. Sounds weird but man did it work great.

I have a Lyman 50 cal Hawkin style cap lock that has to be around 20 years older or older that is in excellent condition and shoots really well if you are intersted.

Lyman make a very good rifle. I like the 54 for all around use but a 50 is lots for any kind of deer. Effective range of any round ball will be 150 yards max. You can get used bags, horns etc pretty cheap and they are easy to make yourself, for years my shooting bag was a converted leather handbag. All you really need to hunt is lubed patches, a dozen viles to hold premeasured powder loads, some percussion caps, a nipple wrench with a clean out pick, a spare nipple and the rifle. All you need to clean a BP gun is soapy water.

More info than you ever needed to know about shooting muzzle stuffers.

Muzzle Loader Forum

s-l1000.jpg

I am interested in your Lyman 50 cal Hawkin style, but I'm currently awaiting a PM back from Frontier as well.

I must admit i'm very interested in the one from Frontier Gander and want to see that play out for respect to him since he has been so helpful.

Rick, how much are you asking. Do you happen to know the twist or have a feel for it's ability to accurately shoot full bore's at extended ranges?

Once again, thank you all for the help getting me started into this new hobby / soon to be addiction.

I am interested in your Lyman 50 cal Hawkin style, but I'm currently awaiting a PM back from Frontier as well.

I must admit i'm very interested in the one from Frontier Gander and want to see that play out for respect to him since he has been so helpful.

Rick, how much are you asking. Do you happen to know the twist or have a feel for it's ability to accurately shoot full bore's at extended ranges?

Once again, thank you all for the help getting me started into this new hobby / soon to be addictio

Once again, thank you all for the help getting me started into this new hobby / soon to be addiction.
not sure if it would shoot those very well since it is a 1-66 twist I believe. If that is what you plan on shooting, I would not feel comfortable selling it to you and have you not satisfied. Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts