Non inline muzzleloader

A 1-66 twist is more of a Patched Round Ball barrel. T/C used 1-48 twist in their Hawken rifles, This will shoot Patched Round Ball and Maxi-Ball good.
Some company made a Hawken Rifle with a 1-24 or 1-28 twist that was good for Sabot loads with pistol bullets and some special black powder bullets.
The barrel twist controls what bullet you can shoot and how much powder it takes for an accurate load.

I'll toss this out there. If a guy found an older Lyman or even T/C with a 1" across the flats barrel in 50 that was rusted badly and for a great price you may consider it. Bobby Hoyt is still reboring to 54 or 58 caliber and it would give you a brand new bore in a round ball twist. Have talked to several guys who have had great luck doing that. Have seen first hand what 54 cal roundballs do to big mule deer and whitetails, very effective. Now need to run a 58 through one.

TX has a freshly rebuilt CVA Hawken .50cal folks. I got him set up with the rifle and everything else he needed to get her up and running.
100_1185.JPG

Yes sir. FrontierGander was extremely helpful getting me setup with all I needed. Yesterday my son and I took it to the range and I was able to get some 395 gr plains bullets that he casted grouping under 1.5" at 50 yards. Which for me who is new to muzzleloaders and open sights I was very pleased. with 75 grains of Old Eynesford we were pushing 1284 fps and with about 83 gr we were at 1368 FPS with about a 2.3" group. With that load I should be able to carry 863 pounds of energy out to 200 yards with only 20" of drop and less than 10" group or 5MOA (all in theory which will be tested and fine tuned over the coming months prior to hunting season).

We didn't have much range time but my son was able to enjoy shooting some balls as well for an enjoyable trip. That evening we spent a couple hours breaking it down for a thorough warm soap water cleaning as well as did a slight peep adjustment for our next range trip.

Thanks to all who have helped kick me off down this path. Especially FrontierGander who has gone above and beyond time and time again.

1590944767787.jpeg

1590944834963.png

1590945273965.png

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.