When looking for an accurate inline....

Rum River

..... are there certain makes to avoid?

All the muzzleloaders I have are traditional style. I don't know for sure if I'll ever own a non-traditional, but I'm curious. Are there certain inlines that just aren't worth bothering with?

My backyard range goes to 400 yards, so lets say that's my criteria, an accurate rifle that will group in 6" at 400.

Is it possible to eventually find the right component combination no matter what inline is used? Or are there some makes of rifles that couldn't shoot a group like that no matter what?

Thanks!

Savage 10ML. I have one that shoots 1.5-2 inch groups at 200 yards. Even if you cannot shoot smokeless in your state, they are also accurate with black powder subs. Look up randy wakeman. He has done a lot of work with both smokeless and Black powder with them.

By the way, I know I tout the Savage 10ML a lot and I just found the BP forum on LRH. But it really is that good.

They are still available by order. But not mass produced anymore. Randy Wakeman is taking orders for them. This is copy and pasted from savageshooters.

"The Savage 10ML-II Has Returned

Due to the overwhelming demand, Savage CEO Ron Coburn informed me today (3/10/2011) that the Savage 10ML-II has returned and is being produced on a made to order basis. To get yours, see:

http://randywakeman.com/savage0.htm"

There was widespread rumor that this would be the case as soon as they took them out of the catalog.and there are quite a few still available from before they took them out. Savage still sells parts for the original 10ML as well. Mine is plain black and has the old ugly stock and no accutrigger, but it feels good and shoots amazing.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses, I'd heard that shooters have had good luck with the Savage 10ML.

The info I'm looking for is a little bit different. I'm trying to find out if there is a certain make or model inline for which a shooter has not been able to find a suitable combination of components to shoot accurately.

As an example, I have a Lyman Great Plains Hunter traditional style percussion rifle. It's a .54 with a 32" twist. I have shot T/C Maxi Ball and Maxi Hunter in several different weights with a range of powder charges, several different other brands of lead conicals in various weights, the Lee R.E.A.L. bullets in different weights, and some sabot/jacketed bullet combinations as well, and the best group I've gotten at 100 yards is 6". Even though the twist is too fast for patched round ball, I tried that too with predictably poor results at 100 yards. (Although 10 rounds will cut a single hole at 50 yards.) I found a slightly oversize mold for a hollow base conical I'm going to try next.

My question: Has a shooter out there had a similar experience with an inline?

Thanks!

Knight and T/C, They shoot well generally. Traditions...............Not so much. the new electronic ignition rifle I sighted in did very well, bt the older ones I have played with were 5-6 inch guns at best.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.