No more Wood?

Hi, I'm very new to this so please excuse my ignorance, but are wooden stocks a thing of the past? I know they are still in use, but just about everything and everybody has gone to either a composite or injection molded stock.
I've been reading a great deal because I intend to purchase a bolt action. Mostly target some hunting.
So in my research i have decided that injection molded stocks are not what I want, just the hand paid-up type.
But I love wood... So is wood really that much of a problem?
I like the Winchester Featherweight and Vanguard Sporter....Featherweight is free floated and bedded.
Your opinions are really valuable.
TY, R-Dog.
This is a group shot September 2020 with a bullet that many unenlightened folks poo-poo (Swift Scirocco II) out of a 2001 Winchester Model 70 300 WSM Featherweight that has been pillared and bedded.

You decide...

D3E914FD-EF91-4009-9E27-D10FE562FA62.jpeg
6DDCA406-073B-466F-B242-2487E74550A7.jpeg

Last edited:
When my son turned 21 I gave him his choice of the following Jim Cloward rifles. All pre-war Model 70s. JK Cloward is no longer working. Possibly the finest maker of Hi-Power competition rifles, armourer for the 2007 Palma team. He is blind with macular degeneration. I'm just an old fashioned oldster!
View attachment 218602
OH MY GOD!!! Those are SO beautiful. Would you adopt me??? ;~)

You're son is a lucky man! Which one did he choose? The bottom one is my favorite. (Hint, hint....) ;~)

Very, very nice! No, that doesn't begin to cover it. STUPENDOUS?? Wow!

Vettepilot

Hi, I'm very new to this so please excuse my ignorance, but are wooden stocks a thing of the past? I know they are still in use, but just about everything and everybody has gone to either a composite or injection molded stock.
I've been reading a great deal because I intend to purchase a bolt action. Mostly target some hunting.
So in my research i have decided that injection molded stocks are not what I want, just the hand paid-up type.
I like the Winchester Featherweight and Vanguard Sporter....Featherweight is free floated and bedded.
TY, R-Dog.
I got a Boyds At-One 'Pepper Laminated' stock for the SS Model 7 in 7mm SAUM, 24-inch barrel.
Then, a Platinum Laminate 'Forest Camo' for the Mossberg Patriot in 6.5 PRC, detachable mag.

FOREST CAMO LAMINATE PREMIUM
Yep. A Lefty cheek piece on a Right-hand action (option).

Attachments

• 20200904_084624.jpg
    20200904_084624.jpg
    1,004.8 KB · Views: 128
  • 20200904_084639.jpg
    20200904_084639.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 135
  • 20200904_084652.jpg
    20200904_084652.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 118
  • 20200904_084700.jpg
    20200904_084700.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 138
  • 20200904_084728.jpg
    20200904_084728.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 108
Last edited:
For the past 30 years or more, Field & Stream, Outdoor Life etc.. helped sell the idea of plastic stocks over wood. I'm not convinced from an accuracy standpoint that plastic is superior to wood. If kept dry or if sealed, a wood stock will be a lot better option than plastic.

Last edited:
I got a Boyds At-One 'Pepper Laminated' stock for the SS Model 7 in 7mm SAUM, 24-inch barrel.
Then, a Platinum Laminate 'Forest Camo' for the Mossberg Patriot in 6.5 PRC, detachable mag.

FOREST CAMO LAMINATE PREMIUM
Yep. A Lefty cheek piece on a Right-hand action (option).

Thats purty.

I know a right handed guy that shoots his rifles lefty. Cuz he only has 1 eye...

For the past 30 years or more, Field & Stream, Outdoor Life etc.. helped sell the idea if plastic stocks over wood. I'm not convinced from an accuracy standpoint that plastic is superior to wood. If kept dry or if sealed, a wood stock will be a lot better option than plastic.
Thank you....see I have recently moved to Washington state. Two of my step sons hunt and I think it might be cool to try it out. That and the idea of meat sounds good. But mostly I think I'll be at either the range or way back in the hills somewhere shooting various targets.
One son is all composite, the other only has wood.
So, I'm looking around and asking opinions of the more experienced.

Here is my Remington LSS stock that I had pillars installed and bedded the action. Shoots pretty good. Weighs exactly 2lbs. So its lighter than some composite stocks. I love the look of laminate compared to composite stocks.

Ballistic-X-Export-2020-10-03 13:42:49.369279.png

20200811_182546.jpg

TY, R-Dog.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! Nothing like an engraved or inletted wooden stock.....or just great walnut.....but when you have them and I have many the true downfall isn't Do they Swell.....it's when you scratch them or ding them......and you will! Then you'll probably want to poke yourself in the eye with a sharp stick!

I built an 8 1/2 Hunter Class benchrest rifle that doubled as a field rifle in 1978. It's all carbon including the pillars. I shot it about 4 times per year in competition and every second weekend in the field. The scope adjustments were never touched until recently because of scope lens separation. That is what a well made carbon stock is all about, no changing point of impact.
I had so much confidence in this rifle that I never ever had to check the zero before a hunt. Imagine the extra barrel life and saving on components. There are very few composite stock builders making extra strong stiff products, most are skimping on reinforcement and using eye catching weaves.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! Nothing like an engraved or inletted wooden stock.....or just great walnut.....but when you have them and I have many the true downfall isn't Do they Swell.....it's when you scratch them or ding them......and you will! Then you'll probably want to poke yourself in the eye with a sharp stick!
LOL. thanks...swelling is why people say not to get one...but the scratch may be worse.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.