No load data for Lapua, plenty for Winchester, Remington and federal

MtnOak

What gives here?
I can find data for all the above except Lapua and just ordered 100 new 300 win brass, my Speer book shows nothing for loading that brass, is there a load data book out there that does?? Maybe Sierra or Berger?
Ive always used the other 3 name brand brass and never give it any thought until now…

From what I understand lapua is thicker brass which means less capacity.
Sure, people say that. It may be true. Have you ever seen data? I haven't.

These aren't shotgun shell hulls. Load with the data you have, use good safe practices and your rifle will tell you what it likes.

Load a 1-2 shot ladder from book min to max. Evaluate each shot for velocity, poi, bolt lift, primer markings. I think you will find the whole book range pretty safe, but poi may drift at extremes.
3A065042-4182-4CCD-B4A1-810CB013ED1B.jpeg

This kind of shows the idea with a few extra shots!

It is touted as tough brass, so if you are seeing pressure signs, you are breaking it.

I would reckon to say if you are at say 77gr H1000 in Norma, with Lapua you may be a little less for max. May not even get quite as high velocity, but I think your brass life will outlast the others if you treat it right.

The internal capacity data is typically measured in grains of water. These measurements are often used as inputs in programs like QL or GRT. You still have to confirm the capacity you use the tools.

It's still sound advice to work up any hand load for your components and rifles ... not really any shortcuts, just guidelines.

I'm speaking in generalities here, not to anyone in particular, but Lots of people are in a hurry to find a magical and universal load or try to duplicate the work and success of others. Sometimes it works or gets you in the ball park .. sometimes it can be down right dangerous - especially in an era of an explosion of new gun owners, reloader and the internet.

But back to the original post .... the data can be found for internal case capacities ... it just needs to be verified to be of any real use. The train of thought is that the cartridge brass is formed to meet a SAAMI chamber spec which means that the external dimensions can only be so big. If you have more brass or thicker brass, logic would lead you to assume the internal dimensions would be lessened.

This will also change as brass gets fired and forms/stretches to your individual chamber (which can definitely vary from gun to gun). If you're going to work up a load, it's best to do it after a couple of firings ... which is why many handloaders first fireform.

What gives here?
I can find data for all the above except Lapua and just ordered 100 new 300 win brass, my Speer book shows nothing for loading that brass, is there a load data book out there that does?? Maybe Sierra or Berger?
Ive always used the other 3 name brand brass and never give it any thought until now…

You can also google Lapua Load data and find some reputable sources of info one load data as well

Sounds like I should dump the Lapua brass and go with one of the factory 3 above, would be a whole lot less trouble, I've used mostly Winchester and federal brass and had no problems with em as long as I stayed in normal parameters, I'd like to think using a recipe from either of those would get me fairly close to the load data provided for them on the Lapua…..

Sounds like I should dump the Lapua brass and go with one of the factory 3 above, would be a whole lot less trouble, I've used mostly Winchester and federal brass and had no problems with em as long as I stayed in normal parameters, I'd like to think using a recipe from either of those would get me fairly close to the load data provided for them on the Lapua…..

Just work up a load like you normally would. I've never worried about the brand of brass when working up a load. I would much rather have Lapua, ADG, Peterson, etc over Win or federal brass.