LOAD DATA FOR FEDERAL FUSION 140gr SWEDE

Bwana Barry

Sitting in S Africa in a three week lockdown mode - gives me more time to work on my reloading before hunting season opens on 1st May.
I have a CZ 550 lux and have recently purchased two boxes of Federal Fusion 140gr for springbok at +- 250 yds max.
My Hornady OAL gauge reads average 68.62 mm to ogive, and this equates to 82.44 mm COL
However, this will only leave 2 mm of bullet seated in case. What COL should I load?
IMR 4350, Lapua brass with CCi 200 and 24 " with 1:87 barrel.
Many thanks and stay safe.

Personally, I like to try and have the bearing surface of the bullet to take up at least 3/4 of the case neck. So for this example, I would want about 5mm of bearing surface, or roughly 0.200, of bullet in the case neck. In a perfect world it's recommended to have the bullet's bearing surface to be seated in the full length of the neck, but that's not always possible. Doing this will give your bullet good grip from the case neck and keep it well supported. I would start shooting groups at that seating depth and see how they do. If they're not satisfactory, then adjust your seating depth further away or closer to the rifling in very small increments. In your case, I would adjust in 0.1mm increments. Sorry I am not good with the metric system, but that should equate to about 0.004 of adjustment.

Personally, I like to try and have the bearing surface of the bullet to take up at least 3/4 of the case neck. So for this example, I would want about 5mm of bearing surface, or roughly 0.200, of bullet in the case neck. In a perfect world it's recommended to have the bullet's bearing surface to be seated in the full length of the neck, but that's not always possible. Doing this will give your bullet good grip from the case neck and keep it well supported. I would start shooting groups at that seating depth and see how they do. If they're not satisfactory, then adjust your seating depth further away or closer to the rifling in very small increments. In your case, I would adjust in 0.1mm increments. Sorry I am not good with the metric system, but that should equate to about 0.004 of adjustment.
Thank you Jud96, I will follow that advice when I get a chance to do so after 3 weeks total country-wide lockdown .....
I could fill a librray shelf with 6.5 Creedmore data.....but nada on Swede - not even Federal Fusion whom I emailed last week for info.

Will report back then. Appreciated.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.