Federal trophy bonded tip load data

Calvin45

federal trophy bonded tip bullets have been available as components for a bit now, but there's still very little data out there for them. Federal includes some and has it available online, but it's just for 3-5 powders in each cartridge tested, seems quite conservative, and all powders tested are Alliant. Haven't found much of any first hand reports or data either. The bullets in my case are 140 grain 270 caliber to be used in a standard 270 Winchester. Not to sound standoffish but i'm not looking for advice, I'm looking for actual experiences from people who have loaded them to see what worked or didn't work. My own plans are to test them with what I have at my disposal currently, (imr 4451, imr 4955, imr 7828, imr 7977, rl 22, with my hunch being imr 7977 winning as Hodgdon data shows it as fastest with 150 grain cup and core bullets...these solid shank bullets offer more resistance so I'm guessing the fact that it's 10 grains lighter won't be as big a difference as if they were of similar construction. Also possibly buying a pound of superformance as Barnes lists it doing very well with the 140 tsx. The rear portions of the tsx and tbt are for all purposes identical. I'm after max possible velocity more than accuracy (within reason of course) - this isn't intended for long range precision, it's intended for a lot of the hunting I actually do, a workhorse load for 350 yards and in. I've yet to feed my savage 270 anything handloaded that it wouldn't keep inside 2 inches or so. I've also never shot a cloverleaf or ragged hole with it. It's not a tack driver, but it's not fussy or in any way high maintenance. Most of my deer have been taken with it. It's a workhorse. anyway, enough rambling. Any experiences? Does nickel foul the barrel?

No experience with that particular bullet, my some 270 really likes Reloder 26 with 140 SST's. We started around 57 grains and worked up 60. 60 gave great accuracy and 3060 fps. Probably could have gone higher, but no need in my eyes.

Also should note that we are loading them longer than the standard 3.34

My 270 does similar things with 140 btsp interlock from hornady (which i suppose really is just an sst with a lead nose instead of a tip) and rl 22. 60 grains, 3080.

I find myself thinking there must be some of you out there with experience loading these trophy bonded tip projectiles.

A guy on the nosler forums had the 130 tbt doing right at 3150 with rl 26.

Posted a question on here about the nickel. Everyone seem to think it would wear the barrel out faster and be much harder to clean since the nickel is harder than copper.

Try looking in a Speer reloading manual. They still list data for the old TTBC bullet. That bullet is similar in construction, but not nickel plated.

Bump to the top! Getting ready to load the 150's in a 270 and RL26 and the 7mag with 140's and trying to decide the best powder. Got H1000, Rl26 and Retumbo.
Roy

I loaded the 30 cal 165 TBT in a 30-06 AI. Was using H4350 and Staball 6.5 powder. I hit pressure sooner than any 165 grain cup and core bullet I've loaded in this rifle. I did get good speed and they shot MOA or better out of this rifle. Barrel fowling was minimal shooting these bullets just like any other bullet. This is an easy cleaning Lilja barrel, Boretech cleaned up the barrel as normal. I was loading them .060 off the lands.

I've shot approximately 550 of the 180s in a 24" 300wm. I used data for a 180 tsx and H4831sc for the starting point and worked up to pressure over a chrono.
they've always shot great for me, and I've had no issues with the wear/fouling claims. Haven't heard of anybody that actually has. Also experienced great performance on elk. Like.. a both shoulder whoopsy with exit great lol

I've shot approximately 550 of the 180s in a 24" 300wm. I used data for a 180 tsx and H4831sc for the starting point and worked up to pressure over a chrono.
they've always shot great for me, and I've had no issues with the wear/fouling claims. Haven't heard of anybody that actually has. Also experienced great performance on elk. Like.. a both shoulder whoopsy with exit great lol
Where did u find the sweet spot for seating depth? I loaded a ladder with 150's and Rl26 in the 270. Started .080 off. Hope it works.
Roy

If my memory is correct I had a good spot at .120 then opened up until 0.050 and stayed tight in the entire 0.050-0.020 range. They have been pretty forgiving for me really.