No coyote hunting during deer season.

204_ruger

This weekend stops my coyote hunting for a while. But it's the opening weekend of trapping season. So the coyotes wont get to rest much. I run traps of the morning before work. I live 1.5 from work. So I run my line on the way too work. During trapping season I get up at 2.30 or 3.00 am to start my day. Run my traps. Make resets all before work. If I dont have time I stop on way home. Dark when I leave and get home. Then skin put fur in freezer until I get time to put up. I have went thru over 3 cases of matte black spay paint. Painting water traps and new coyote drags. Been working on trapping equipment every free minutes. Building coyote drags . I made some out of 3/4 to 1 inch rebar peices and rail road spikes. Still have 10 330 to rebuild. ( new springs, trigger, rivets. Then 6 220 body traps then build anchors and snares. Waiting for my last big order of trapping supplies to come in. Hit the coyotes hard. I skin by hand no skinning machine here. Trapping coyotes by end of season. I feel so old. But i look forward every morning. Every morning is like xmas. See what surprise is waiting for me.

I don't have a skinning machine either . I take a needle for airing up a basket ball and sharpen it with a file so it's like a hypodermic needle , stick it in the ankle just under the skin and air them up , then go to the wrists and do the same . That leaves you with the tail and head to skin out .

I made an L shaped pipe to bolt in my rear bumper that had a gambrel for skinning them in the field . I would spray them on the ground with Adams flea spray then I didn't bring fleas home my Wife, she thought that was a very good thing . My gambrel was just a straight bar with a choke chain on each end so I just slip it over the hind foot and had a vee shaped piece that went almost to the ends of the ber to hang it from and stiffen it so it could be made of lighter round stock of 3/8 " . We do what we need to to make our lives better for us .

My luck Saturday rain wind gust up to 30 or so. I was going to put a line out. But the weather was bad. We had tornado warning. Why i don't like coyote hunting now. Have to wear hunter orange. I don't like to wear it.

I don't like to either but I wear brown Carhartt jackets and coats so figure it's better to wear it then get shot when your setting a trap or snare down on your knees .

I have a orange camo hat I wear. But around my house on family land I don't. I trap out of my truck. When I am setting i drive my truck right up to the place.

That works where I do control work some times I need to be a long ways from the truck so put a vest on top of my coat .

I don't have a skinning machine either . I take a needle for airing up a basket ball and sharpen it with a file so it's like a hypodermic needle , stick it in the ankle just under the skin and air them up , then go to the wrists and do the same . That leaves you with the tail and head to skin out .

We used to do the same with alligators. They look like a big float when aired up all the way. But it is so much easier

Thanks

Buck

I never tried it on beaver they weren't a problem for me to skin them . The fleshing was till I learned to stretch them then use my beaver knife and flesh them on the hoop but I would say it would . I just cut around their wrists and ankles then wring the feet off so they are out of the way cut around the tail lay them on their back ,split them from the middle of their lower teeth to the tail and start skinning at the tail . once I get to the loose flesh I stand one the tail and pullthe pelt off to the ears then hold the pelt and use the beavers weight to help me skin the head out . Is that pretty much what you do with beaver ? After I get them stretched I put a couple of stiches in the legs so they dry nice and flat also .

On thin skinned animals you want to not get in a hurry with the air you can pop them if you get too much air in them. A hand tire pump will work on them . You can see the air moving under the skin it's interesting .

Got caught up on skinning last night. Coons otters last night. Running 3 different lines and working. My morning starts at 2am . Will be glad to get a few days off. Rest and put out new sets. Beaver coons otters don't forget opossums 6 in one day. I caught a opossum on a coyote post set with pee and gland lure. Thats how my luck has been going. I don't know how I ever trapped beaver before drowning rods come out. I always use Victor # 3 or 4 jump traps going up. Now Bridger #5 coil or DLS. Learned how to snare good. Now I would just snare as anything.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.