Coyote hunting out of deer blind

Zerk

Looking for something to do this spring. Keep coyotes off property too. Still 20" of snow. Bought .243 for coyote hunting couple years ago, but never got around to it.

I realize the more effort you put in, the more successful you will be, and the more you will want to do it. But I also just want to try it. I have a number of permanent deer blinds. Some box ground blinds, tower blind enclosed, and tree stand that is has half walls.

I was thinking of trying one of the enclosed blinds, concealment and warmer. Any body using deer blinds? I figure they have been there for years. So coyotes shouldn't be concerned.

Also I hate to sound cheap, but I just want to get one. Like to spend less the $100 on call. Talking to local hunter, he said he had luck with turkey call. Got a turkey tag, only one call. New that too.

Thinking about this weekend, so not sure how much time I have to learn any hard calls.

Should I get a reed call and save up for electronic? Can I get cheap electronic caller?

Again I know, doing things half assed, gets the same results. Just wanted to get out and try.

I'd look for an older model electronic.

Blinds could work, only trying will tell.

I think I'd rather use a blind with bait than calls.

Just conversation, long ways from expert advice.

I would think it would better then sitting on the ground, either way you are calling. But if they are not there. You can't move.

Another goal is to keep them deeper in the woods away from my place. I'd like to tan one for the wall though.

I have had wolf walk under my ladder stand. Had 2 of them on bait, never look up. Unfortunately meat brings in wolves.

Even though many of us hunt multiple animals, you still distinctions in way we do it. Turkey huntersandwich are big on vests, I love pockets. But deer hunter traditionally just wear a thin orange vest.

Though I have never had a coyote come to my deer blind with me in it.

I ordered a Primo's dog catcher. $62, plus $7 on top of my Amazon Prime to get it to my camp this weekend.

Normally I am not a cheapskate about hunting. Never predator hunted. I understand the value of it, and I expect the challenge will be fun. But no big horns or meat. Also like to see if I can even get one to come in. Probably like gambling if you win, you want more.

Coyotes spooked by the sight of snowmobiles? I am guessing so. Park it 75 yards away enough?

Snow should be hard. If it is will just walk in. But we will be getting to warm season were it gets soft.

Savage 110 243 with medium barrel. Handload Hornady 58G v-max. How big of exit hole? Not trying to sell them yet. But if I actually mange to get some, maybe. I have various weights loaded up to 105, that I need to try out once snow melts.

I might also practice a turkey call. With all the turkeys around you would think it would be good one. I have seen tracks following turkeys. Though may be to big for yote. That is one the problems, calling in wolves.

..........Coyotes spooked by the sight of snowmobiles? I am guessing so. Park it 75 yards away enough?..................

I'd say farther, and probably covered.

I've had the privilege of hunting with Tim Titus (tt35), and he emphasizes from the beginning to hide the rig.

From my limited experience he has a very good ratio of successful stands.

He has articles on the main page that are worthwhile reading.

Probably right. But I do hunt heavy bush. It is hard to shoot 45 yards.

Most deer hunting is 25 yards.

Gonna give it a shot. Just like an excuse to get out in the woods. Though at some point you want to be succesful.

Bear hunting I have had wolves run up close like they owned the place, when in a tree stand around 12 feet high only. Not sure coyotes are as bold. I see more wolves. Though I hear coyotes.

I got the blinds up, so going to try. Some been there 20 years. I had a small buck walk about 10 yards away. They are used to them.

If nothing comes I am out of luck. But one goal is to keep them away from the house. Though I think it would be fun to call one in.

UP is different hunting style, heavily wood and rolling hills. I was given gruff for siting at 100 yards and practicing so much. I do it for fun.

"I hear coyotes." Hope that's where your blind is cause that is where you need to be coyote hunting. Buy you that electronic call with a good remote. Always keep the wind and sun in your favor. Set the call up 45 yards from your stand the day before you plan to hunt. Get into your stand early and quietly. Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.