Anyone do much late season coyote hunting?

What type of calls do you use in June? I've talked to a lot of people that say a pup distress is about the only thing that will bring them in that time of year, but all those people say that's just what they've heard.

I want to get out sometime in the next two weeks and introduce my brother in law to the sport but I don't want it to be a bad experience and wonder if I should wait till September to take him out. Let me know what's worked for you guys.

I went on a P-dog trip in Colorado in early June. Wind was horrible but shot a ton of prarie dogs and smoked 3 coyotes " one each morning." Got their attention with integragation howls and sealed the deal with the Randy Anderson cat nip. Would have never seen them though without my Nikon binos. I will post pics soon. Im workin on clean up in Joplin Mo, and havent had internet in a while.
Thanks,
Heath

What type of calls do you use in June? I've talked to a lot of people that say a pup distress is about the only thing that will bring them in that time of year, but all those people say that's just what they've heard.

I want to get out sometime in the next two weeks and introduce my brother in law to the sport but I don't want it to be a bad experience and wonder if I should wait till September to take him out. Let me know what's worked for you guys.

I will drive around throwing out different types of howls and set up where I get responses in the AM before dawn. (best luck that way) Sometimes a distress call will bring one in, but for the most part during the summer there's lots of food and the summer heat makes'em lazy in IMHO. That's why I go fishing around 8 am. :D waste of a day otherwise only doing 1 - 3 stands.

I haven't tried the pup distress, I may have to give that a shot.

I hunt private property for PD's here in CO and we will shoot a bunch in the am and afternoon and stack them up and come back at dusk for an easy yote. Something about the sound of constant shooting in the PD field brings them in every time.... Maybe it's the free dinner.

I hate when the hawks show up, that will dive the PD's down fast.

Jon

The season never closes in AZ, but it does get tougher in the deserts during the summer. Heat & sunshine drives everything to the shade by 8 AM. I'm going out tomorrow morning for a couple of sets. We'll see what develops.

My hunting partner and I have had success hunting all year long. you have to get closer to them during mating and denning times but other than that they are still coyotes and will come to a call. The dogs are very effective in spring and summer months, theire effectiveness seems to taper off as it gets colder Good luck.

gun)

My buddy and I hunt them all year. Good offseason practice. We have killed atleast one every weekend for the last two months. The only dry spell we had was April and May. Went about three weekends without calling anything in that we could see. Usually we use a jackrabbit distress from electronic and hand calls. Called in 6 on Sunday morning but only managed to get one. Do all our hunting in the morning or evening during daylight hours.
2011-07-17070039.jpg

Here's a couple of pic's of a black yote in march i think,not sure how to do pics.have more late season dogs also.
took this one with a saiga 308,90yds.neckshot

gun)

Attachments

• ScannedImage-26.jpg
    ScannedImage-26.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 94
  • ScannedImage-9.jpg
    ScannedImage-9.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Here's a couple of pic's of a black yote in march i think,not sure how to do pics.have more late season dogs also.
took this one with a saiga 308,90yds.neckshot

gun)
Wow!! Destroyed that neck. This is one that I shot this morning. Got up at 4am to meet my buddy at 5.15am at a gas station. Called a couple of spots but only got this one to come in. Did some target shooting and was home by 10am to shower to go to breakfast with my wife and friends at 10:30am.
2011-08-07075755.jpg

He was a pup which suprised us but his coat was awesome. The best I have seen in awhile. He came in at 150yrds but quickly turned around. Show up again and held up at 235yrds.

Here's one from friday 6 pm right after a thunder storm,used a AR-15 223@ 165yrds. Aint sure but I think it was about 105 degrees. Need to s
wap to hogs for a few weeks.gun)Walker 1 that is a pretty pup Can ya'll get anything for them out your way?

Attachments

• ScannedImage-10.jpg
    ScannedImage-10.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
gun)Walker 1 that is a pretty pup Can ya'll get anything for them out your way?
I am in Southern California where it seems most are against hunting so I am not sure if there is a bounty on them. They just wait for an attack then pay someone a bunch of money to hunt that one down.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.