Becoming a better coyote hunter during the off season.

heathbaker

Do you do anything particual to better yourself as a coyote hunter during the off season?

The off season for me begins in March and ends in late Sept. Besides reading coyote hunting articles on LRH during the off season I work on coyote loads for my .223 and do tons of shooting. I go as far as cutting out cardboard coyote silhouettes positioning them in fields and shoot at them from various distances and angles. During the month of May I travel to Ks to shoot prarie dogs. Shooting p dogs allows you to really get to know your rifle and your ammunitions point of impact at differnt distances.

Do you do anything particual to better yourself as a coyote hunter during the off season?

I was out at the range this morning practicing my seated, shooting sticks technique so I don't miss that coyote at 525 yards again this fall.

Len, for me there is no "off" season. Coyote hunting is done all year round when the time is available to get out. The Coyote hunting is interupted by deer season in Aug and Sept. at the home ranch, then the mule deer and elk season hunt in Idaho. The rest of the time I work and then work on the ranch.

Handloading, rifle maintainance, load development, etc. are done on rainy days.

MEV

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.