Nikon is getting out of rifle scope business

Kinda a bummer as I've had a 3-9x40 prostaff on my .300 winmag since I bought it 15 years ago. It's never lost zero despite some good abuse including one fall that hit a rock hard enough that the scope bell got gouged. My farthest elk kill at a little over 400 yards was with that scope and rifle.

There are a lot of Nikon scopes in circulation. I don't mind them getting out of the scope business but saying they will no longer honor their lifetime warranties or service the existing scopes is plain wrong. Unless they actually declare bankruptcy I hope the existing owners hold them to account. I can easily see a class action suit based on them not honouring their warranty obligations.
Nikon was late to the mirrorless camera market and recently dropped from #2 in camera sales to #3 behind Canon and Sony. Their recent financial results were really poor. Bankruptcy could very much be in their future if they don't turn it around.

Last edited:
I have 3 Monarchs and have had 2 of them for MANY years, the 3rd one is newer. They have all performed perfectly and never let me down. I have a number of Nikon products, binoculars, a camera...... It's a bad sign. I wonder if the left and the squad have a hand in this.

Nikon was late to the mirrorless camera market and recently dropped from #2 in camera sales to #3 behind Cannon and Sony. Their recent financial results were really poor. Bankruptcy could very much be in their future if they don't turn it around.

Absolutely true. They have completely mismanaged the company in all respects. Company has over 20,000 employess and have been in business since about 1917. They now have a turn around strategy in place that is making knee jerk decisions to try and dig Nikon out of the deep hole but it is pretty much the same management and Board that got them into their current problems. Share price has dropped over 30% in the last year alone. They are still profitable but their sales and margins are slipping.

I would not be the least bit surprised to see them bought out. I am actually surprised they did not sell off their scope division to try and raise cash rather than just shut it down. It would have given them an outlet for their glass, which is one of their main profit centres. That would also have removed the residual warranty liabilities.

Last edited:
I've got probably 10 of their scopes . I really hate to read that this is happening. The Nikon that's on my dads old German made weatherby with stood a fall of 32 feet . As nd was only off 3 inches after he got the gun back from weatherby. Never have had a problem with their products . Shoot they even replaced my range finder after the Great Dane used it as a chew toy 2 years ago only cost me 50 $.

Have some of their scopes,a pair of binos,and haven't even gotten my new rangefinder that I just ordered in yet!!! What the heck--dollar for dollar I 'll put them up against anything out there.

I grew up on a Banner Bushnell. Until I got married in 95, my best scope had been and old weaver 2x10 I bought used for $100.
Soon after she bought me a new ruger 77ss 2506 with the skeleton stock. I topped it with my first bushmaster 3x9.
It's still on it today.
I thought it was the best scope I'd ever looked through.
I've 10-12 nikons now including the 6x18x40.
Hate to see them go, especially the great warranty.

I think Nikon scopes were always the best scopes for the least money .I really believed in them after 12 years in Alaska through everything I could dish out at them .They held up on my 416 rem mag through over 2500 shots which is am awesome scope test .I had a Burris posilock blow the crosshairs out one shot on that same rifle .I hunted in rain snow mud dust they always came through .I am buying as many cheap high end Nikon scopes as I can. I hope I can get at least 5 more good ones to last the rest of my life .i started with Japan made Nikon 3x9 scopes which I still hunt with and they are just as clear as day one .I did buy a 4x16x50 that's not as good on the high power but I love the bdc circles for fast shooting . They will be missed by many people like me who stood buy and bought them for over 33 years !

Kinda a bummer as I've had a 3-9x40 prostaff on my .300 winmag since I bought it 15 years ago. It's never lost zero despite some good abuse including one fall that hit a rock hard enough that the scope bell got gouged. My farthest elk kill at a little over 400 yards was with that scope and rifle.
I just called Nikon USA because I have a vested interest in Nikon Scopes. (I own eight different models plus rangefinders) Well sad to say but what is being written about here is in fact truth !
Nikon will no longer be manufacturing rifle scopes because of global marketing changes.
The bright news is that Nikon USA will continue to honor all warranty's related to said rifle scopes.

I just called Nikon USA because I have a vested interest in Nikon Scopes. (I own eight different models plus rangefinders) Well sad to say but what is being written about here is in fact truth !
Nikon will no longer be manufacturing rifle scopes because of global marketing changes.
The bright news is that Nikon USA will continue to honor all warranty's related to said rifle scopes.

Interesting to hear they are now saying they will honor the warranties. That definitely wasn't what they were saying before. Hope it turns out to be accurate.

Interesting to hear they are now saying they will honor the warranties. That definitely wasn't what they were saying before. Hope it turns out to be accurate.

Me too. I have two X1000's still in the box. A couple of months ago I did see something about them not honoring their lifetime warantee's on any new scopes sold. Glad to hear they realized they'd made a mistake....

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.