Nightforce vs Huskemaw or something else in that price range??

Tried Huskemaw, Burris, Leupold ,Vortex. Most of the Nightforce owners I know are no different from anyone else....we learned the hard way the nothing compares to the Nightforce scopes we now own.100 % reliable all the time anywhere.

I toured the Athlon showroom at Olathe nice scopes, really nice sales rep, my Son ended up buying 1, many are FFP though
It seems like your looking for a SFP scope. If you're looking for a light weight performer the Leupold VX6-HD 4-24x52 is a super performer at 24 ounces. The 2 you mention are great brands, the NF tend to be on the weighty side as they really serve more of the tact and comp side of the house. Those folks aren't as concerned about total rifle weight. The Huskemaw are more hunting side and match up to the Leupold VX6-HD line better weight wise. You can get 4 more power and wide choice of reticles with the 4-24 VX6-HD. I have one on my custom 7 LRM and it has been flawless on 3 Coues Deer, 400 yards, 652 yards, and 684 yards and 1 cow elk 385 yards. I don't think you can go wrong with any of these choices for pure scope performance.

Think about what type of ranging system you are going to run and how that will work as a system with the scope.

Husk. Leopold. NF Vortex. All make nice scopes.
Find a scope that fits YOUR eyes. Different brands have different tints.
Decide what you will be mainly be using it for and if weight is a factor.
Just remember,
As expensive as they seem to be,
It's always more expensive to buy the wrong one first.

I know KF have this great rep, so having experienced SB I decided I needed quality glass for hunting, but no need for high power. I tried KF HSV, good in low light, but hang on, the IHR reticle had gone. Quite clearly no one tried out either reticle in low light in a huntiing situation. In particular the MOAR is a disaster and the IHR very very poor. I now have a Burri Veracity 2-10x. The reticle design-layout with the taper is great, but FFP no use for hunting.

I'm shocked that this forum seems to only talk about Nightforce. I had an ATACR F1 and was so unimpressed I sent it back.

I agree with @Rudolph Ferdinand that you should look at Precision Rifle Blog's huge comparison of high end scopes. His amazing analysis led me to believe that if you couldn't afford a Schmidt and Bender, the best scope would be US Optics. For no other reason than it got a perfect score on tracking (something Nightforce did not, nor very many other scopes did).

I got one and can't speak highly enough about my scope. Do you realize US Optics may be the most customizable scopes there are? They have since limited what they customize, but still offer an impressive amount of reticles, for example, including Horus. They are also amazing to US military members. I was given 20% off and a free Cerekote coating in burnt bronze (and not to sound too much like a Homer, but I honestly love the T-shirt they included). Their customer support is amazing and I felt like they were my friends (I didn't know a thing about them or the company before my order).

I routinely use my scope on a POF AR-10 with 20" barrel. Even with the detachable quick release mount I can hardly believe how accurate it is. For example, at confirmed 610 yrds (via GPS) the kick of one of my shots knocked my 8"x3/8" swinging plate on top of 2x4 stand I was using. I was hitting so true, it took only my second shot to shoot the 3/8" horizontal plate off the stand, which is exactly what I was aiming for (And a coworker witnessed it and the skimmed bullet mark on the top of the 2x4 I still have shows where it hit. And this is shooting a 308 people! (using Hornady AMAX Superformance). I also was hitting 1000 yrds almost looking right into a setting sun, thanks to my US Optics scope. I didn't have the sun visor, but the glint on the bullet was so easy to see I actually walked my rounds onto the target .. at 1000yrds with my .308!

I just happened to win an NRA Whittington Center sweepstakes and got to select a package of 6 guns... I'm selling the 338 Lapua mag, but I'm going to keep the Winchester Model 70 in 300 Win Mag that should be coming in another three months (I'm told). And I bet you can guess what scope I'm going to mount on top of it.

(As a side note, I analyzed 30 different types of manufacturer's ammo through my rifle and I found that Hornady Superformance AMAX was best overall for accuracy and standard deviation of fps).

(Update: oh, and a couple years later, I called up US Optics because the illumination in the scope was no longer working and new batteries weren't fixing the problem. They said they had upgraded to a new button and battery attachment (which was compatible with my scope) and they sent me a new one for free! So customer service is first rate in my experience).

Attachments

• 20190615_183408_HDR.jpg
    20190615_183408_HDR.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 97
Last edited:
I shoot the huskemaw 5-30 tactical on a 264 win mag I built 6 years ago th the glass is very good I have shot a lot of steel out to 1500 yards with the 5-30 and the new 5-20 tactical they both have a bubble level built in which makes 1st shot hits no big deal

I have several Vortex with a Viper sfp gen 2, 5-25x50 as my best scope. I have got along fine with all my vortex, but After reading all the poor reviews on Vortex, maybe I have just been lucky? I`m thinking about a little higher end scope for my next rifle? I want to stick to 24-25 as max power, any good options beside the 2 I mention?
my favorite is the zeiss conquest in 25 power

I have used Huskemaw 5x20x50's and Nightforce 5.5x22x50 and ATACR scopes for my LR hunting. They are all excellent scopes. I will say that I prefer the lighter weight and compact size of the Huskemaw with the glass, durability, and tracking comparable to the Nightforce NSX. I use an MOA turret in the Huskemaw.

I usually keep quiet, so I'll only say a brief statement. A.. state SWAT sniper team evaluated 12+ scope brands, many of them are real shooters in side competition. Knowing this I sat down for breakfast and asked for advice. I want glass for my SSG build. Night Force unanimously in unison. So I bought and it is a fantastic tool. US optic was not tested but also very highly recommended. As was vortex, it was the second choice of the tested lot. I'd say read and decide on features wanted/needed. Try looking through as many as possible in bad lighting etc. This site has a absolute mountain of information and everyone here is passionate about shooting. That does at times come across not exactly as we all should like, But I believe everyone here is free of malice and really wants to help in any way possible! Read. Learn. Lots of fantastic answers here.
I will say I just put a Nikon on my recent 10/22 build and it is stunning how 550$ in a "cheap" scope looks great has clear glass. Boxed really well, and has a nice reticle.

Sorry, forgot to add I am looking really hard at huskemaw and tract for a hunting rig as possible lighter weight glass. Both are very nice!

I have used Huskemaw 5x20x50's and Nightforce 5.5x22x50 and ATACR scopes for my LR hunting. They are all excellent scopes. I will say that I prefer the lighter weight and compact size of the Huskemaw with the glass, durability, and tracking comparable to the Nightforce NSX. I use an MOA turret in the Huskemaw.
I agree--on my hunting rifles I go lighter.. however for shooting long range type rifles where i am not hiking 6-10 miles a day, go with the heavier models.. for mtn hunting have mainly used Zeiss, Swarovski and Leupold.. honestly like the Leupolds as much as any.. and they have held zero better than the other two I mentioned when traveling long distance..airports, etc..

Last edited:
The 3-12 huskemaw is 21 ounces the 4-16 is 22 oz. The 5-20 is 24 oz it just depends on how much magnification you want

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.