Nightforce vs Huskemaw or something else in that price range??

I have my fair share of Nightforce and Huskemaw scopes. For the money the Huskemaw Blue Diamond 5-20x50 is one of my favorites. On my hunting rifles, I have the ability to change the turrets for different loads, elevation, and can double stack with yardage/MOA. Tracks like it should and does not weight a ton. On the other hand, if I'm bench shooting, NF. I would recommend either manufacturer.
20190615_084855.jpg

Last edited:
I have had Zeiss Conquest stuff and dabbled with Nightforce SHV stuff too over the years. I have also played with some Kahles scope as well. All where good quality scopes and gave me no problems.I switched over to Vortex stuff a few years back with a second hand Razor HD GenI 5X20 and have never looked back. Was not a fan of the PST Gen I but have 3 Gen II PST's 3X15 and have been very happy with them. Bright, clear, repeatable and tough (I see various hunting equipment as a tool) and I'm pretty hard on my stuff. To date I have only used the coveted warranty once on a PST gen I for debris in the tube, which I understand was a common issue with those. Other than that the Vortex product has been stellar with avid useage. My only complaint is that they are very heavy.... I wish they would build a lighter weight Razor with external turrets in the 15-16 power range. I know the AMG is a possibilty weight wise but the cost is prohibitive to me. This is just my experience for what it's worth.

NightForce BEAST and ATACR 4x16 with TReMoR 2 & 3 respectively used on Desert Tech SRS and MDR respectively. Zero regrets. If you are a veteran some dealers give nice discounts...Sports Optics in LA does as I recall and have good prices to start.

My wife took a LR Hunting course (keeper!) and used the Huskemaw which was offered at a discount at the end. I'm not a fan of the "turret by elevation" designs, preferring to use other means of calculating the Density Altitude and adjustment. I use the Sig Kilo 2400 or the Kestrel AB. So I bought the ATACR for her rifle...I swear it's just a coincidence that if works wonderfully on the MDR!

Last edited:
Nightforce vs Huskemaw, Nightforce without a thought!.
If Nightforce is to pricey, Vortex PST Gen II, Burris XTR II are both top notch and less stress on the wallet.

I own a bunch of Nightforce's from SHV's to NXS's To ATACR's, they never let me down. I went to the Wolf Precision Shooting school in PA and a cop from Mass. had a Vortex Razor that cost $3400 (he said he got it for $2500 with his LE discount), after 65 rounds on on a suppressed Savage 300 Win Mag it wouldn't track and chit the bed. I owned a Crossfire, it was junk. I recently bought a Christensen Arms TH Summit from Euro-Optic and the salesman tried to sell me some $1000 Vortex for $500, I bought it outside and it was the worst scope I've ever looked thru, everything was blurry. When the guy thought I didn't know how to adjust the scope I handed it to him and he couldn't get it focused. He muttered something about this must have been a bad one, he got that right, I told him not to get me another one to look at. I'll take NF all day long!

Own all NF, no problems on targets or hunting. Pricey but reliable and heavy trucking thru the mountains. Very little experience with Vortex other than couple friends had issues with turrets on Viper scopes

Nightforce on most of my Rifles. I have 1 gen 1 Huskemaw. Nightforce gets my money. My guide rifle is topped with a 3.5-15 Nightforce with moar reticle.
With the recent advances in the Zeiss conquest I would like to try that

I have the Burris Xtr ii 5x25x50 on one of my 338Edge's and its been great! I have the 4x20x50 xtr ii on a 338 Rum and it's been fine also .
I just picked up a Vortex gen 1 Razor and its going on my other 338 Edge . Excited to give it a spin .
Nightforce is on my mind all the time . But the $ 2500.00 just makes me cough a little .
I guess it all depends on what you need / want ...

Rum Man
Remember always, you get what you pay for.

I have the Burris Xtr ii 5x25x50 on one of my 338Edge's and its been great! I have the 4x20x50 xtr ii on a 338 Rum and it's been fine also .
I just picked up a Vortex gen 1 Razor and its going on my other 338 Edge . Excited to give it a spin .
Nightforce is on my mind all the time . But the $ 2500.00 just makes me cough a little .
I guess it all depends on what you need / want ...

Rum Man
Sir,
I have been a life long fan of Burris Scopes UNTIL I mounted one on my Edge. I am telling you this and as many other Edge shooters as I come across so it doesn't happen to you as well. "Burris tests their scopes to 375 H&H recoil levels not 50 cal." Is what I was told by their factory representative at the NRA show in Dallas. This was after I had gutted two of the
XTR II 8.5-40x50 F-Class scopes. When I sent it back for the third time, it was replaced with a new in the box version that I promptly traded for the Athlon Ares BTR FFP in MOA. It has over 500 rounds under it.

Sir,
I have been a life long fan of Burris Scopes UNTIL I mounted one on my Edge. I am telling you this and as many other Edge shooters as I come across so it doesn't happen to you as well. "Burris tests their scopes to 375 H&H recoil levels not 50 cal." Is what I was told by their factory representative at the NRA show in Dallas. This was after I had gutted two of the
XTR II 8.5-40x50 F-Class scopes. When I sent it back for the third time, it was replaced with a new in the box version that I promptly traded for the Athlon Ares BTR FFP in MOA. It has over 500 rounds under it.
I understand for sure but with having 6 338's I would be in the poor house with 6 new Nightforce Attacar's !! $ 15,000.00
OUCH !!

Rum Man

I have owned such a variety of scopes starting with a Redfield Widefield then many Leupold and Burris scopes. Then went to try "Good" glass with an IOR Valdada, which had poor reviews, but I've had no issues and appreciated the glass long range. Then Vortex came around and I haven't looked back. I have several including two new PST Gen II 5-25 and most recent purchase is the Razor HD AMG 6-24 and it is an amazing scope. I looked at many Nightforce scopes, but the lighter AMG with the small 30mm tube fit my build best. I love the reticle they put in the FFP and it doesn't cover up the target like a lot do. I'm sure a Gen II would have been fine but investing so much in carbon McMillan stock and Proof barrel to save weight it just seemed logical. If you're looking for a lightweight hunting scope capable of long range I really recommend the Vortex Razor HD AMG. But again I can see a clay pigeon bust at 1000 yds with my PST Gen II.

A March scope with your specs can be reasonable if one shops for just base model with plain reticle. NF always sound investment! Only highly rated I have not tried but would like to purchase someday and you might also research are of course Zeiss and Sightron optics.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.