Nightforce NX8 VS ATACR

Yes true, but depending on the use it may be too much in my opinion. I think great for a long range shooter, however may be a bit too heavy and bulky on a hunting rifle.

Now on the other hand the NX8 is lighter in weight, the glass is good, but to me the reticle is useless on the lower end and too thick for my liking on the upper end. If NF comes out with a 2FP, then I am all in.

I believe a good compromise that seems to be over looked because of the newer products is the tried and true NXS with the MOART reticle. Besides, the cost seems to be coming down on these as compared to a couple of years ago. Just my opinion.

My thoughts also. I emailed NF because I think an NX8 2.5-20 would be great for my GAP in 30 Nos. I have a Zeiss V6 3-18 on that rifle and plan to move it to a 280 AI build. Anyway, NF told me they have a SFP of that scope In the works but no word on release date. I have not handled an NX8 yet and hate to hear that the glass may not be too good.

My thoughts also. I emailed NF because I think an NX8 2.5-20 would be great for my GAP in 30 Nos. I have a Zeiss V6 3-18 on that rifle and plan to move it to a 280 AI build. Anyway, NF told me they have a SFP of that scope In the works but no word on release date. I have not handled an NX8 yet and hate to hear that the glass may not be too good.
The glass is better than the NXS and just under the ATACR from the one I looked through. Lets face it its not an ATACR and it wasn't meant to be. Its 8-9 oz lighter, 30mm tube vs 34mm tube and shorter. Also more power range, with all those differences it can't be as good as the ATACR but that doesn't mean its not a great piece of glass.

SHV:
•Entry-level Nightforce® riflescope
•Developed for all around use
•High-Quality glass with simplified features
•Best selling MOAR reticle
•ZeroSet™ elevation or capped adjustments

NXS:
•Hard-use Nightforce® product line
•Legacy product line that established Nightforce within the marketplace
•Used by elite military snipers and warfighters
•High-quality glass and features
•Positive clicks for windage and elevation dialing
•ZeroStop™ elevation adjustment

NX8:
•New generation Nightforce® product line with NXS-type ruggedness in a mid-range F1 option
•8x magnification zoom ratio
•Compact and lightweight
•Built for extreme durability

ATACR:
•Highest level product Nightforce® has to offer
•Most advanced technology features
•Used by long range competitors, elite military units and extreme long range hunters
•ED Glass with high performance features
•ZeroStop™ /ZeroHold™ elevation adjustments
•Power Throw Lever integrated to magnification ring
•Digillum™ – digital reticle illumination
•Flip-up caps standard

I hope this helps :)

SHV:
•Entry-level Nightforce® riflescope
•Developed for all around use
•High-Quality glass with simplified features
•Best selling MOAR reticle
•ZeroSet™ elevation or capped adjustments

NXS:
•Hard-use Nightforce® product line
•Legacy product line that established Nightforce within the marketplace
•Used by elite military snipers and warfighters
•Positive clicks for windage and elevation dialing
•ZeroStop™ elevation adjustment

NX8:
•New generation Nightforce® product line with NXS-type ruggedness in a mid-range F1 option
•8x magnification zoom ratio
•Compact and lightweight
•Built for extreme durability
•ZeroStop™ elevation adjustments

•Flip-up caps standard
•Eyepiece doesn't rotate with magnification

ATACR:
•Highest level product Nightforce® has to offer
•Most advanced technology features
•Used by long range competitors, elite military units and extreme long range hunters
•ED Glass with high performance features
•ZeroStop™ /ZeroHold™ elevation adjustments
•Flip-up caps standard

I hope this helps :)
Missed some key parts on the NX8 I highlighted in red.

For those that are in the know what if anything makes the ATACR better than the NX8. I assume the mechanics are comparable, could be wrong. How does the glass stack up? Is there anything else between the two that would make me choose one over the other? I am looking at the NX8 2.5-20s and the ATACR 4-16s for an XP-100 Pistol. I was using a Leupold 3-18 but would like something with more dependable turrets and a little more bullet proof.

The ATACR, specifically the more recent F2 enhancement is, IMO, an "exceptional" scope! Yes, there is a difference compared to the NX8. Having use a broad range of optics, NF, S&B, March, Leupold, etc,etc., this scope gotten every as aspect of what I have desired in a long range optic accomplished to near perfection.....So much so that the extra inch of length and 8 Oz of weight, that has previously been a sticking point with me, has become an afterthought. I'm generally not a cheerleader for a product, but NF has gotten this one right. Does one have to have it to be successful.....no. But, is there a difference..IMO...absolutely!

A SFP NX8 is what I'm hoping to see. 🤞

I would like to thank everyone for their input. There have been a lot of points brought up that I need to check out some I hadn't thought of or didn't know about.
Dave

Can't remember where I read it but I saw a post where someone felt the MOAR reticle in the ATACR 4-16 was overly thick on 16X. How do you guys that have used them feel about that.
I have used the MOAR-T in an ATACR 5-25 is the MOAR at 16X that much thicker. I like the MOAR-T.

Thanks again for the help
Dave

Last edited:
[I think the preference for MOAR vs MOART is split about even depending on personal preference. In an SFP the reticle is going to be the same size at all magnifications, and the same thickness whether it's the 5x25 or lower power range model. Having used both reticles for LRH, my personal preference is for the MOAR. For my eyes, it is faster, and picks up better in the shadows and lower light, but is fine enough for easily placing precise shots on coyotes past 1000 yards.

I had a ATACR 4-16 in moar for awhile and I didn't feel it was too thick. I think that's the only MOA reticle available in the 4-16. The 5-25 SFP you can get a T but not the 4-16.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.