Nightforce lately?

I am a avid reader. New to writing a post. My experience with NF has been not a good one. I have an NXS 5.5-25 that will not hold zero and at longer ranges is useless with a wondering POI. I mounted it on several guns from a .222 to a 7SAUM with the same result. I have sent the scope to NF at least 4 times and each time it was returned with the same problems but I was always, according to NF, the cause of any problems. I was told I didn't know how to mount a scope. I did not use proper torque on the base screws. Another time my rings had been lapped and shouldn't have been. And I did not have the best NF rings. The only thing true was my NF rings only cost me about $125. I have dealt with more than several scope manufactures and NF is the worst and it is not close.

I am buying a 15-55 this weekend for a 6ppc
when I saw the post, it concerned me and I wanted to know WHY someone would advise against a NF
nothing more
The 15-55 comp scope is one of the reasons a lot of people have a bad taste in their mouth about NF quality and customer service. It's part of what BIGGREEN was alluding too. I know several friends and others I shoot with that have had 15-55 NF COMPS that were not holding zero and when contacting NF they would get the runaround, then after several calls send the scope in only to get it back and hear nothing is wrong, but when checked its still not holding zero, send it in again and same thing, then again and told nothing was wrong but its working ok now. There were lots of incidents documented on several web sites and then they all of a sudden disappear. NF new they had a problem but wouldn't admit it. Instead of saying ya we know whats wrong and we have designed a fix for it send it in.
Now before you jump all over me as a NF hater let me tell you I own ;

2- 15x55 NF COMPS
6-GEN II ATACR SFP 5-25x56
3-GEN II ATACR F1 5-25x56

All have been great except for 2, one ATACR SFP I think the Parallax is floating, I need to get it out again when I have time and really fool with it again and let my buddy also fool with it. One of my ATACR F1 power ring is bad, turns nice the first 1/4 turn then almost wants to lock up until the last 1/8 of the turn. I haven't contacted them yet because I don't want to ship it until this COVID-19 BS slows down and shipping gets back to normal, I don't need to loose a scope to shipping we all know the insurance you pay for is worthless.

So I don't have any personal experience with customer service on the phone a as far as repairs go but I can tell you the couple times I called to talk to someone with questions about products I was interested in purchasing it was like i was bugging them, it was like I was at the DMV! But I do have good friends that have had warranty dealings with them and they weren't good, I listened in on a couple calls and basically you were being talked down to, you don't know how to mount a scope, your rings are not torqued correctly, not using our NF rings and treated the same way I was.

So take it for what its worth, do I love my NF scopes that work.... hell yes I do. Does NF have some issues owning their problems... hell yes they do. Am I looking forward to dealing with them on my 2 scope issues.. hell no ! Thats why they are still sitting in the safe. Am I going to swear off NF scopes.... it all depends on how my two issues are handled. The sad part is I am ready to buy another 15-55 COMP and 2 NX8 4.5-36, but I decided I wont do it until I see how my warranty issues are handled.

Good luck with your purchase, its a great scope if you get one that works, its frustrating if it doesn't. I have seen the frustration first hand. lets just hope I don't have the same experiance.LOL

Dave

Last edited:
I am a avid reader. New to writing a post. My experience with NF has been not a good one. I have an NXS 5.5-25 that will not hold zero and at longer ranges is useless with a wondering POI. I mounted it on several guns from a .222 to a 7SAUM with the same result. I have sent the scope to NF at least 4 times and each time it was returned with the same problems but I was always, according to NF, the cause of any problems. I was told I didn't know how to mount a scope. I did not use proper torque on the base screws. Another time my rings had been lapped and shouldn't have been. And I did not have the best NF rings. The only thing true was my NF rings only cost me about $125. I have dealt with more than several scope manufactures and NF is the worst and it is not close.

I'm betting your problems are caused by parallax. You're describing a common problem with the NXS right down to the the response you keep getting back from NF. You need to concentrate on removing parallax even if the image is out of focus.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.