Nightforce lately?

It's seems to be just a personal opinion that there are other things out there in the same price range. A big difference between that and the optic failing. Just a personal problem.

My experiences with Nightforce has been outstanding. I got my first NF scope 4 or 5 years ago. It has worked great from day one. I've bought 3 other NF scopes since then, two of them were used. One of the used ones had a questionable Parallax adjustment. NF tech support walked me through trying a few things first. I ended up sending it in and they fixed my concerns. I never felt belittled or that I was wasting their time. They have always treated me well.

Yep until I hear of issues being had I will continue to buy them.
My atacr f1 7-35 is fantastic. Granted I do t use it a ton cause it's such a heavy rig. That being said I purchased a shv for my 300 win mag. I don't use that rifle very much but wanted a decent scope.
From what Use if had it very good for the money. It's definitely not the same as the atacr but if had no issues with it as far as track and glass is ok.

First, the disclosure — I spent 14 years in the hunting/shooting sports industry (didn't work for a gun, ammo, optic company) before moving to another industry a couple of years ago. During that time, one particular colleague served as a mentor in my long range hunting and shooting development. He spent a lot of time with me at the range and even taught me to reload for LR. He was also a competitive benchrest shooter and accomplished long range hunter. Furthermore, he works at one of the largest firearms, optics, accessory distributors in the country. Names are omitted to protect the innocent.

In any case, it is been a few years since we touched base, but we had a long conversation last week as I'm contemplating a new build. When we got to the subject of optics — I was very surprised at some of the things he said. For years, this man was a complete Nightforce loyalist for hunting rigs. He could get a lot of optics for free based on his job, and he still paid for NF (albeit @ wholesale prices). His affinity was primarily due to their mechanical precision and durability...not necessarily glass clarity. He strongly recommended I take a look at some other optics for my new build. As I prodded a little bit he shared these quotes:
  • It's not the same company it was a few years ago. Massive turnover, poor customer service, and arrogance.
  • They've traded precision for profit. Lost focus on what made them great.
  • Their new lines (SHV/NX8) are substandard (returns) and other companies have improved/passed them in the at the NXS/ATACR price points.

Its been a couple of days since this conversation and I'm still trying to digest it. My personal experience w NF has been excellent on the two scopes I own. I took it once step further and called 3 builders I trust. 2 of them have built guns for me before. After discussing the build, I talked optics and none of the 3 recommended NF unless I just demanded it.

Anybody else had any poor experiences w NF lately? Have other companies improved that much? The consistent recommendation across the 4 people I talked to were Leupold on the $2000 range, and Kahles in the $3300 range. Still S&B above 4K.
I have never had any trouble with night force I use two of there benchrest scopes and 3 nxs scope they are top of the line scopes sounds like some one got butt hurt

First, the disclosure — I spent 14 years in the hunting/shooting sports industry (didn't work for a gun, ammo, optic company) before moving to another industry a couple of years ago. During that time, one particular colleague served as a mentor in my long range hunting and shooting development. He spent a lot of time with me at the range and even taught me to reload for LR. He was also a competitive benchrest shooter and accomplished long range hunter. Furthermore, he works at one of the largest firearms, optics, accessory distributors in the country. Names are omitted to protect the innocent.

In any case, it is been a few years since we touched base, but we had a long conversation last week as I'm contemplating a new build. When we got to the subject of optics — I was very surprised at some of the things he said. For years, this man was a complete Nightforce loyalist for hunting rigs. He could get a lot of optics for free based on his job, and he still paid for NF (albeit @ wholesale prices). His affinity was primarily due to their mechanical precision and durability...not necessarily glass clarity. He strongly recommended I take a look at some other optics for my new build. As I prodded a little bit he shared these quotes:
  • It's not the same company it was a few years ago. Massive turnover, poor customer service, and arrogance.
  • They've traded precision for profit. Lost focus on what made them great.
  • Their new lines (SHV/NX8) are substandard (returns) and other companies have improved/passed them in the at the NXS/ATACR price points.

Its been a couple of days since this conversation and I'm still trying to digest it. My personal experience w NF has been excellent on the two scopes I own. I took it once step further and called 3 builders I trust. 2 of them have built guns for me before. After discussing the build, I talked optics and none of the 3 recommended NF unless I just demanded it.

Anybody else had any poor experiences w NF lately? Have other companies improved that much? The consistent recommendation across the 4 people I talked to were Leupold on the $2000 range, and Kahles in the $3300 range. Still S&B above 4K.

I just bought a NF enhanced ATACR 2F and LOVE IT. I put it on my 300 PRC and have already taken her out to 1775 yards target shooting. I am still new to this round and have not started reloading it yet, although I intend to to very shortly. The clarity and tracking is fantastic on this scope. I own 3 Vortex scopes and as good as they are, this one is awesome. It has 120 MOA of vertical adjustment, which was a selling point for me.

Attachments

• 300 PRC with NF.jpg
    300 PRC with NF.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 114
He's not one to give specific recommendations but he gave me a couple options at various price points. After talking to the custom builders, the 2 options I'm considering are:

Leupold Mark 5HD 5-25
Kahles K525i 5-25.

wanted to stay below 2500 on a scope and I've had some issues w leupold in the past in lower priced scopes (VX3) but it seems like they've made some significant improvement lately.
If you know the NXS and the atacr are solid what difference does the bargain scope existence have for the proven 2 that made them famous ?
I am buying my 4th nightforce this week and really would like something solid to go on other than "well they make a couple cheap models ?"
So now you go to the "tap them turrets with a screw driver" brand that has only a few to compete with NF and makes dozens of SHV type cheapos.
And your own words !! they are finally getting the 2500 plus scope s right ! OMG
If somebody has a solid complaint about NXS or ATACR I would like to hear it.

I have never had any trouble with night force I use two of there benchrest scopes and 3 nxs scope they are top of the line scopes sounds like some one got butt hurt
yes it does...he spoke of company arrogance...
just as easy for TOP gun makers to be arrogant and like you say "Butt hurt"
I never thought I would hear anyone bad mouth a NF atacr or nxs

Gunwerks uses the Leupold mk5 and Kahles k series along with Revic on its rifle builds. We no longer use Nightforce.

The statement alone doesn't add any value to the discussion. Please state why Gunwerks no longer uses Nightforce and some conclusions may be derived.

On a different note:

There has been a lot of "takes care of our own" in the scope business supporting one company or the other because of their financial support of things they care about. Bushnell, Kahles, and Leupold have supported things line PRS, etc and garnered lots of support despite not being the best product for the money.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.