Nightforce lately?

IBTL.

I actually do not, nor ever have, owned any NF scopes, but have shot behind 30+.
BEAST is a brute, and very nice.
ATACR F1 is a fine scope.
ATACR is fine, but SFP is not my cup of tea.
NXS has never really impressed me.
SHV, for what they are, seem decent for the price.
I have only seen two issues with NF scopes personally.

I would take a NF ATACR F1 over a Leupold Mark 5 or Mark 6 if weight was not a concern.

I would take a Kahles over a NF however.

True, I do not have any rifles accurate enough for a NF scope...
Hence the Two-Tiered product offering that Gunwerks has settled on - Leupold Mk5 and Kahles K series. One offers great value, the other exceptional performance.

Here's an objective comparison of a few scopes we did a couple of years ago featuring lab measured optical performance. There are at least another dozen optical parameters we measured that indicate the quality (or lack of defects) of the optical system. There is no "perfect" combination of performance specifications that equal "the best". Its a system of tradeoffs and layperson perspective. For many optical parameters, you just can't detect, let alone quantify without specialized equipment. Brand L to R: Revic, S&B, Swarovski, Vortex, Nightforce. Funny story, we threw a budget scope (OEM Cost ~$250) in the mix, and it had better resolution than the Swaro. Does that make it better? (No it was not!)

Nothing to prove here, just some objective info to digest!

Comparison-chart.png

So it was a money thing largely? Didn't have to carry inventory. It wasn't an inferiority of product.

I used to like Leupold until I had to deal with their CS. A formerly great company that I probably won't ever do business with again after they called me incompetent, then called me a liar, then said they would replace my scope if it was messed up, then didn't replace it but rather repaired it on their forth try because it was bad after all.

No respect for Leupold anymore from me.

AMEN!

And the "it's gotta be user error" comments by CS are the best way to ensure that the customer never buys their product again.

Here's an objective comparison of a few scopes we did a couple of years ago featuring lab measured optical performance. There are at least another dozen optical parameters we measured that indicate the quality (or lack of defects) of the optical system. There is no "perfect" combination of performance specifications that equal "the best". Its a system of tradeoffs and layperson perspective. For many optical parameters, you just can't detect, let alone quantify without specialized equipment. Brand L to R: Revic, S&B, Swarovski, Vortex, Nightforce. Funny story, we threw a budget scope (OEM Cost ~$250) in the mix, and it had better resolution than the Swaro. Does that make it better? (No it was not!)

Nothing to prove here, just some objective info to digest!

View attachment 190509
thank you ...data rocks
actual information quells the tide LOL

I've owned Nightforce for years , bought the SHV couple years ago. Never a complaint on any of my NF optics. Sometimes just follow the $$ when people abandon a manufacturer.

While on the topic of optical quality, here's a short article that describes the main aberrations an optical designer is trying to minimize when developing an optimized riflescope design.

OPTICAL ABERRATIONS IN RIFLE SCOPES
You guys take a lot of...poking and that is good. It means Gunwerks is the standard by which most folks compare the rest of the industry.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.