Nightforce gen 1 atacr vs gen 2

fisherman983

Can someone please explain the differences in the 2 scopes. Are there ANY downsides to the gen 1?
I have an opportunity to purchase a gen 1 for a decent used price.

Gen 2 offers more elevation per turn , available in both 1st focal plane and 2nd focal plane , better glass , I own one. Absolutely nothing wrong with a Gen 1 if you like 2nd focal plane , if the price is right go for it .

Gen 2 offers more elevation per turn , available in both 1st focal plane and 2nd focal plane , better glass , I own one. Absolutely nothing wrong with a Gen 1 if you like 2nd focal plane , if the price is right go for it .
I prefer second focal, how much better is the glass?

Gen 2 is noticeably better glass, Gen 1 is very similar to the NSX , probably the same glass but I can't say for a fact . In my opinion the Gen 1 is just an NSX with a 34mm tube and more elevation travel.

If you can get it for the right price you won't be disappointed. Gen 2s , used , are starting to become more affordable. If you're currently using budget optics , a Gen 1 will be a huge upgrade. If you're currently using an NSX or something similar, you probably won't be amazed by a Gen 1 .

I
Gen 2 is noticeably better glass, Gen 1 is very similar to the NSX , probably the same glass but I can't say for a fact . In my opinion the Gen 1 is just an NSX with a 34mm tube and more elevation travel.

If you can get it for the right price you won't be disappointed. Gen 2s , used , are starting to become more affordable. If you're currently using budget optics , a Gen 1 will be a huge upgrade. If you're currently using an NSX or something similar, you probably won't be amazed by a Gen 1 .
is 1800 a fair price for a used gen 1? It will be an upgrade to the sighton siii that I have now.

$1800 isn't bad , but not great either. I've seen the Gen 2 second focal plane scopes sell for just a little more . If the one you're interested in comes with a quality pair of rings it would sweeten the deal at $1800 .

This is just my opinion, if it's what you want and can afford, jump on it . They're great scopes.

Gen 1 be a upgrade from what you are using.
With that said, gen 2 glass is noticeably better at distance. I been shooting behind Gen 2's since they were released. I got on my wife's tactical rifle last week with Gen 1 on it and was surprised how much better the Gen 2 is over Gen 1. Gen 2 turret feel and turret knobs also upgraded on Gen 2.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.