Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 or Razor Gen 1?

JW74

I know the new Viper PST Gen 2 scopes are just making it out to people but does anyone know how it compares to the Razor Gen 1 in terms of glass quality? Is it worth the extra money to go with the Gen I razor?

Thanks!

Tagging in! Very similar question in my mind as well. I got my hands on one of the gen II's and it looked nice but there was nothing there for comparison so hard to tell

Razors are pretty bloody awesome. Haven't seen the Viper2's yet. One thing, the Razor Gen 1 takes 35mm rings which are vastly less numerous on the market and can be pretty spanky expensive. Razor Gen 2 takes 34mm rings, much easier and more numerous and a little cheaper sometimes.

Has any Viper Gen 2 PST's made it into stores yet? I have one on order at my local dealer and I'm hoping it gets here before my 6 Dasher is finished, I talked to the gun shop the other day and he saidid he didn't know when they would be released to the public.

Thanks

I ended up going with a PST Gen II from Optics Planet and took advantage of the 10% off deal. Should ship in a week to two weeks which is OK as my build wont be finished until summer.

Have not looked through a PST gen2 so no help there but awhile back I decided to sell one of my scopes and it came down to my NF NXS or my gen1 10mil Razor and I kept the Razor due to the reticle I liked better. Glass quality to my eyes was the same and both track 100%.

I do have 3 HS-LR and 1 HS-T and they have been good scopes other than 2 of the HS-LR had turret internals burn out and would not track at all. I am sure the new gen2 internals have to be better but it might be worth looking into.

I too have a PST Gen 2 on order. Ships to me March 30th. Very interested. Plan on replacing a Zeiss Conquest with it.

For others that may see this, I too struggled with the same question, but the largest factor that I found, and the reason I went with the more expensive Gen I Razor was internal elevation and windage adjustment. The PST Gen II has 70 MOA Elevation and 35 MOA windage, whereas the Razor has a whopping 125 MOA for both. If you plan on stretching shots out really really far, the extra elevation will help eliminate your need for reticle holdover, unless that's your thing. Hope this finds someone well.

On Optics Planet a couple of weeks ago my scope said it was set to ship within 1-7 days, that has since changed to 2-4 months. Possibly Vortex has had some sort of issue with manufacturing as they can't seem to give a solid delivery date?

As far a toughness and features, the Razor is the better option. The Razor is a lot of scope for $1300-1500.

The thing I'm contemplating is the clarity.... I have a couple Zeiss HD5's and their clarity is unreal. I think Im going to be unsatisfied when the Vortex gets here... Any thoughts on folks that have compared the 2??

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.