Nightforce and Remington 700 Action

SHouse

I am building my first rifle a 700 action in 7mm rem. I have a NF 5.5X22X56 NXS. My question is what brand of mounts and rings should I consider? I will shoot out to 1000 yds w/ this set up. I would like to know what height of rings you would also select.

My Rem 700 is a 6 Dasher used in 500M competition. A NF 12-42BR sits on Farrell picattiny base and rings. For 1000 yds I would get the same base with 20 MOA elevation.
Get them high enough so that objective will clear the barrel. I usually order the high rather than super high.

I wish I could tell you that there is an easy way to figure this out, but there is not. Different manufacturers bases vary in height by as much as 3/8", some ring manufacturers give you dimensions from base to bottom of scope, some from base to center line of scope.
If you order High or Extra High, you could end up with the scope WAY above the barrel, which will cause a cheek weld problem and significantly reduce your ability to shoot the rifle accurately.
You really need to have the base in place on the rifle, and then block up the scope to get an accurate measurement of what ring height you need.

Dave

I am building my first rifle a 700 action in 7mm rem. I have a NF 5.5X22X56 NXS. My question is what brand of mounts and rings should I consider? I will shoot out to 1000 yds w/ this set up. I would like to know what height of rings you would also select.

Look on Leupold's web site and they have a chart for base and ring and scope combos.

If you have a straight tapered barrel you will need the Super high, if the barrel is contoured
the High will normally work.

For hunting I prefer the duel dovetail bases. for hunting and target I like the picatinny.style.
(But buy a good one).

J E CUSTOM

I have a Remington 700 sendero and a nightforce 5.5-22x56 I have the nightforce rings that are the medium or 1"

I have a 700 Remington chambered in .338 Tejas.

I have the NightForce 5.5-22x56mm mounted on it.

I have the NightForce Direct mounts which are made just for the Remington 700. The rings and base are all one solid piece of milled steel. I have the 1" version but they do make a 1 1/8" version for large objective lenses and larger diameter barrels.

I have my new rig put together. I have a Savage model 111 with a McGowan varmint contour (straight contour) barrel. I also have a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22X56. I went with the Nightforce one-piece 20MOA base as well as the Nightforce ultralight rings. I went with the 1.125" rings. I MAY have been able to squeeze the 1.0" rings on my rig, but it would have been very close. Probably too close for my liking. I can say that I probably would have had to trim some material off of the bikini style scope cover that came with the scope to fit if I would have went with the one inch rings. If you were using a straight taper base, then you could probably go with the one inch and be safe. Hope this helps. I called Nightforce and they basically told me the same thing that I am telling you.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.